Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two year old beagle Trapper has had two previous seizures, one in the summer and agin in the fall. Both times she brought up green bile.
This morning when I got up there was six puddles of bile and she had peed at the door which she never does. She never woke us up and this morning she was lethargic and never got up until 10:00 but once she was up and around she ate and played and we just went for a walk and she wanted to run. After reading about poor Baily I am scared. Could the bile be from something else? It was not vomit and had no odor, just sticky and yucky.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Trapper's behavior this morning sounds like it very well could be post-seizure. Our Spook always acts in a normal manner a while after a seizure. My advice would be to talk to your vet. If you haven't been keeping a journal of Trapper's seizures, it would be helpful to start. Our vet found my recorded information very helpful. On the upside, seizures can be controlled. Spook's been on phenobarbitol since he had cluster seizures on Thanksgiving, and so far, he hasn't had another. He'll have to have bloodwork every 6 months to check his phenobarbitol levels, but that's a small price to pay if it controls the seizures. I hope this helps. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bile, I think, could be an indication of an overactive gall bladder. I may be remembering it wrong, it's been 25 years since I went through medic school. In any case, it's probably not directly related to the seizures.

My Suzi went through a period several years ago where she was having several seizures a month. They've tapered off now and she hasn't had one that we've seen in a couple years.

The lethargy is known as being post ictal. It's very common for both beagles and people to sleep a bit after a seizure. Losing bladder control is also quite common.

There may be signs prior to the seizure. In Suzi's case she would hang her head down, become nauseated and often vomit before actually having the convulsions. The convulsions would last less than 30 seconds. After a short nap she'd be alright, although you could tell she didn't feel herself. In humans a severe headache frequently follows an epilepsy attack. Perhaps Suzi had a headache each time and just couldn't tell us about it. Usually she'd be back to her old self in a few hours.

Seizures become dangerous when they last more than two minutes, or the victim suffers one seizure right after another. This is called status epilepticus. The danger is that the victim isn't breathing during the seizures and if they're prolonged brain damage can occur.

In humans epilepsy is treated with Valium, Tuinal, Dilantin and phenobarbitol. There certainly may be new drugs, too, that I'm not aware of.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Colleen: Please, please, please talk to your vet tomorrow morning. Louri's loss of Bailey touched us all deeply and I can understand why it scared you. I will share with you the link I share with all seizure pups' Moms and Dads:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm

There is a ton of good information about canine seizures and the folks who run the website really are angels.
I second Sandy's suggestion to keep a journal. It is critical and almost impossible to remember all the details down the road. Makes notes of everything that happened this morning so you can relay it to your vet. Please give us an update.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Both my girls do that vomiting thing sometimes in the am. They show no signs of seizure, but start with "deep type hiccups or spasms" for about 30-45 secs, then green bile comes up, about 2 tablespoons. They are fine after that. Doesn't happen every day, but maybe once a week between the 2 of them. Any thoughts on this? My vet said he could do GI studies if got worse, but actually it is better since puppyhood. Louise is the one that does it more frequently. Vet said we could try Pepsid AC to see if that helps, but actually it's not as much as it used to be. My thought is that it may be a bit of reflux.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have noticed little spots of clear bile on the floor every now and then when I return from work also. Problem is with three dogs, I'm not positive which one it came from. Will routine bloodwork indicate epilepsy?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:Both my girls do that vomiting thing sometimes in the am. They show no signs of seizure, but start with "deep type hiccups or spasms" for about 30-45 secs, then green bile comes up, about 2 tablespoons. They are fine after that. Doesn't happen every day, but maybe once a week...
Thelma Lou,
My Sadie has done that same thing in the AM. Gross...Yeah... Almost like a cat with a hairball.
It seems like it has happened if we didn't get up and feed here on schedule. Like it's and empty tummy thing. Since I've started getting her and myself up to feed her at close to her normal time, even on weekends, it hasn't happened.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trapper seemed fine today but I am going to the vet tomorrow. My vet is hard to understand so i'd rather talk to him in person. I did lots of research on the net and did go to the website mentioned which was very helpful. I threw away her rawhides and I am going to get her a better quality dog food at the vets tomorrow. Since I have three dogs I have been buying the cheaper brand because it gets very expensive but no more!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Colleen: Glad to hear about tomorrow's vet visit. One suggestion: question him about how many dogs he has treated with seizures. It is hard to ask these tough questions but what's most important is Trapper's health. You might even want to take a list of questions with you. I always take notes with me so I don't forget to ask about key concerns.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Well I hope that you get good news tomorrow at the vet for Trapper.

Will be sending good thoughts your way !!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Karebru, yeah, seems like it happens when there is an empty stomach early in the am. I don't worry too much about it, cause there seems to be no sequele. Thanks...for your input. Makes me feel better, just knowing other babies might somethimes go through the same thing.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Seizures vary a lot so it would be wise to get your vet to check Trapper. Our first beagle had seizures for years before the final one killed her. If you catch her at the start of a seizure try glucose powder, our Bilbo used to lick it like mad and seemed to recover quicker with it. Their blood sugar sinks during a seizure. Bilbo made it to 14.
Good luck and let us know what the vet says.
As for bringing up bile, ours sometimes do that early in the morning, but still woof down their breakfast.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Even though you didn't see the seizure, here is what you should do if you are there for it. Iposted this back in 2003.

Quote:
When your dog has a seizure, you need to do a few things:

1. Remain calm
2. Note the time and duration of the seizure, from onset to stopage of shaking to fully recovered.
3. Keep your dog from hurting itself.
4. Let your dog know you are there.
5. Do not put anything in its mouth!
6. Give all the info to your vet.

If your dog's seizure lasts longer than 10 minutes or doesn't start coming around after the episode stops, get to a vet fast.
Our Murphy has had seizures for years. Usually about one every 3-4 months. They have recently been more frequent and now he requires meds...on top of everything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts