Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we all hate leaving our babies behind when we go away and I'm wondering what options most of you use? Kennel v. petsitter, etc.

The last 2 times we have brought the girls back from the kennel, Ginger has gotten sick within a day or two ..... sneezing, congested, breathing sounds rattly... I've had to get an antibiotic and an antihistamine both times now. And this last time, Bailey is also sneezing like crazy .. it's like they come home with colds or something ?? They have been laying around like they are dead exhausted for a week now. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue? Thanks!! It sure makes me not want to go back to the kennel again!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sounds like they're getting kennel cough. Does the facility you take them to make everyone prove their shot records, including the Bordatella vacination? I'm lucky that I have people who can watch Jersey for me when I go away. Last summer she got to stay with the family who adopted one of her litter mates, so she got to stay with "family". This year she'll be staying with my aunt.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We're fortunate to have a fenced yard, and a workshop equipped with couch, water, dog door, etc.. When we're away, we have a pet sitter come twice a day to feed, water, and play/love on the dogs.

Since we have 4 dogs and a cat, this arrangement is perfect for us. The pets love their sitter, and she loves them.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
When we went to Béla's parents house for Christmas we took the cat, dog and guinea pig down to my mother's house.

This year though Abby is coming with us /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I trust no one with her and it was hard on me to leave her...after all she was my baby for two years :lol2:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It does sound like Kennel cough...
. I would check with other people about other kennels in your area.... maybe there is something better.
I left Chloe with my brother when I went away.... it worked out fine, I only had to clean the apartment like crazy when got home

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both Ginger & Bailey had their bordatella vaccines and this kennel is very clean, great people, etc. And yes, they are always checking on shots, etc. and if you don't have them, you don't get in. So .... that's why I'm so surprised! They aren't coughing like the typical kennel cough .... just wheezy and congested sounding .... I don't know.

I'm looking into other options. Once they are older, I won't hesitate to get a dog sitter because we have a fenced yard and a doggie door, so they can come and go whenever they want. They are just still too young, I think, to be left alone, out of the crate, for 10 hours. Maybe I just need to try it once and see how they do. They do OK for about 5 hours but then I think they get bored and don't know when we are coming home.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We had to leave Caesar in a kennel for two weeks while we got married and went on the honeymoon (I'm a Mrs!!!) I picked him up on Tuesday morning and they told me that he sounded like he had kennel cough. This is a very clean, nice place (they even have a swimming pool and tennis court for the dogs!) and they require proof of vaccinations. However, there is a new strain of kennel cough going around that isn't included in the vaccination. They told me that it's like a cold and just needs to run it's course for a few days and he'll be fine. He's coughing, sneezing and sleeping. My poor little guy, I hope he's better soon.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Because I have such a love of animals, I had been volunteering at the local Humane Society last winter and my vet suggested that we use the inhaled form of a Bordatella vaccine for my dogs to better protect them. I wonder if that is something that should be considered if a dog is going to be kennelled at all? You may want to ask your vet about it should the need arise again to kennel them.

We have 4 dogs so it is always a difficult decision to make plans to vacation or even get away for a weekend. So far we have been very lucky to have neighborhood teenagers that will act as pet sitters for us any time we have went away. It is usually only for a day or two and most often we take 2 of the dogs with us to relieve the burden on the sitter, but one of these days I am sure I will have to leave all 4 behind. I sure hope the sitter can handle 4 of them. :conf6:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I know we all hate leaving our babies behind when we go away and I'm wondering what options most of you use? Kennel v. petsitter, etc.

The last 2 times we have brought the girls back from the kennel, Ginger has gotten sick within a day or two ..... sneezing, congested, breathing sounds rattly... I've had to get an antibiotic and an antihistamine both times now. And this last time, Bailey is also sneezing like crazy .. it's like they come home with colds or something ?? They have been laying around like they are dead exhausted for a week now. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue? Thanks!! It sure makes me not want to go back to the kennel again!!

I personaly use a pet sitter but I have boarding back up as well.

It sounds to me like Ginger has a supressed immune system. When she is kenneled she is probably stressed. That combination creates an illness in her. If you kennel her again I would building up her immune system with a healthy diet, I would try to titer her against vaccinations as too many vaccinations (like requested for boarding) can supress the immune system and create illness. I would also try to board her a few hours once a month to help her get use to the situation of being boarded to assist with stress reduction.

If you can find a responsible good pet sitter Iwould opt to try that for a weekend first and then you can move forward if that worked out. You can also opt for a in house pet sitter. Either one who stays at your place or brings the dog to their own place.

Kennel cough is like a human cough. It's when your body gets stressed or tired or ill your coughing. A healthy dog with a strong immune system will nto catch kennel cough just like a person with a strong immune system will not catch the sniffles. The vaccine only covers about 3% of the strains of kennel cough that are out there.

It's very unfortiniate that our bording, kennels and day cares are so behind the times of vaccines.
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bordatella-vaccination-dogs/ I am thankful for mine for excepting us on a waiver and would love to see more places doing this. (and they are slowly)

DogAware.com: Diet & Health Info for Man's Best Friend

K9 guidelines

·
Registered
959 Posts
We have found out over years of having dogs before I was married and had one, and from friends, that the dogs you send to the kennels and the ones who have a baby sitter who comes in twice a day are NOT the dogs you get back. Let's face it, I am one of those horrible people who treat their dogs like kids, I wouldn't leave my kids in a kennel or day care for two weeks or two days, and I don't do it with my boys. We either take them with us, have found some wonderful hotels, motels that cater to people who have pets. We never, ever leave them in the rooms by themselves, and make sure that we check weather reports before leaving, if it's going to be too hot to go, or in our area, too cold...we just don't. We chose to be dog people, and that involves also adapting our lives to some of their needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts