Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Willie seems to not be feeling very well. He woke us up at 4 this morning scratching at the door to be taken out, which is definitely not typical. He always sleeps through the night at the foot of our bed. I've never once been awakened in the night by him needing to go out. So, I got up, layered up (snowstorm, here) and walked him. We made it halfway around the block before he pooped a HUGE pile (solid, though, no diarrhea), and then, under five minutes later, did the same thing again. He typically doesn't have to go in the night, he goes when we wake up and walk him in the a.m. But he definitely had to go.

Then, this a.m., he got up and walked kind of listlessly around and hasn't asked to go out yet. He was retching, but didn't throw anything up, and then about an hour later, the retching started again, and a small amount of yellowish-clearish stuff came up (probably stomach acid/bile?). Now he's lying curled up, since that happened, and I know he's not feeling well, because he's allowing me to sit and eat a bowl of yogurt without moving a muscle to come over and try to lick the bowl and beg and snatch the spoon. In the entire time we've had him, I've never once known him to leave anybody alone for a second with food involved, but he couldn't care less, so I know he doesn't feel well.

He's never been sick before, since we got him. I feel like a mom with a newborn who's sick for the first time.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Just reading this now. Is he feeling better today?

Sounds like he may have gotten into something he shouldn't have? Our guys usually get that way if they've eaten something out of the oridnary.

Did you contact your vet?
Please let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever it is/was, he's back to poking his nose around wherever we're eating, although he still seems a little sluggish, to me. He's eating normally and pooping normally, and no more retching.

I can't think that he's gotten into anything, since he's really never unattended except to be crated. We don't even let him out in the backyard offleash (he learned how to climb the fence, so we can't), so if he's trying to eat something he shouldn't be, we're seeing him do it and addressing it. We did up his food at our vet's recommendation, maybe he's adjusting to the increased food amount.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, he's curled up next to me right now, and SO worked from home today, and kept an eye on him, and said he acted very much business as usual.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Glad to hear it :)

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I'm so glad he is feeling better. I noticed that Molly just gets into things - she is constantly "vacuuming" the floors, eats woods chips etc etc. My greyhound never does that but Molly sure does - and she will get tummy aches sometimes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So glad to hear Willie is feeling better. As a first time pooch parent, I'm right with you on the 'parent of a newborn' feeling. If not for the folks on BW and their advise, I may have gone a bit batty with different 'is this normal' concerns!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts