Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has your pup ever shown teeth at you? He doesn't growl anymore (did when he was first here, at about 10 weeks old). However, he snaps now here and there, at my hand or the air, and shows teeth. Hmmm. Testing me? It's when I say no to something he really wants

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't think he is testing you. It sounds like he thinks he is superior to you. You must make it clear to him that this is a major NO NO!!!!
Be very firm and correct him when he is showing teeth or even growl, use a spray bottle even, and get him to lay down, and stay down for a minute or two. That way he will go to a submissive state and realize you are the leader, not him.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i have to deal with it afew time with Dixie.

I just flip her over on her back and hold her down so she understands that i am the Alpha and not her.

She usually calms down after afew sec, and everything is back to normal.

This is a Normal trait in the wild.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Snoopy did it a few times when we first got him as a pup. He didn't so much bear his teeth but he'd growl if I tried to nudge him off the couch. I just used to do the same- hold him on his side and I'd growl "no" at him. He doesn't do it at all anymore- it was really just in the first few weeks when he was trying to find his place in the "pack" I guess.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by madison069:
i have to deal with it afew time with Dixie.

I just flip her over on her back and hold her down so she understands that i am the Alpha and not her.

She usually calms down after afew sec, and everything is back to normal.

This is a Normal trait in the wild.
This is called the alpha roll - behaviorists and trainers actually advise against it is considered an easy way to get bitten.

You don't want to threaten your dog. A pack leader does not need to use physical force (corrections yes but not pinning the dog on the ground) to prove their status. If you look at dogs in the wild, a dominant dog does not need to force another dog onto its back - the other dog will voluntarily submissively lie down - without force from the pack leader/dominant dog.

If your dog is growling at you or baring its teeth, you need to examine your leadership and look at every aspect of your dogs routine. How much training do you do with your puppy? Is it allowed on the furniture, on the bed? What happens at feeding time - do you make the dog sit and stay for its food? Does the dog follow commands or does it ignore you? etc.

The alpha roll is not a technique or training method to recommend to people as it very easily and quickly can go wrong.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts