Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks! Maggie's monthly vet visit yesterday did not go as expected. Once she was on the exam table and the vet started checking her out, she kind of freaked out -- trying to bite both the vet tech and the vet. After several tries with the both of them trying to calm her down (and the tech keeping a more secure hold), the vet was able to continue his exam. Whenever he got close to her right shoulder, she tensed up. He was able to conduct a good exam and said that her shoulder was out of alignment and all three of us noticed that, as she stood, her right front paw was set back and turned in 90 degrees. She was already getting a cortisone shot -- he added another shot of a different kind of anti-inflammatory. It's not difficult to keep her quiet -- she had been going on short walks lately but those are out for a few days. When she walks, she swings her right foot out before bringing it back in. I didn't really get an opportunity to talk with the vet about the whys --- will do that when he returns from a conference he is attending. Maggie hasn't jumped up or down anything in a very, very long time so that is definitely not a possible cause. She does seem pretty comfortable today so, hopefully, the shots kicked in. I'll end on a good note: she has been eating for 10 days (Merrick's canned Grammy's Pot Pie -- I even think it smells good)!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, bless her!
She, and you, certainly have had a lot on your plates. Sending gentle tummy rubs to Miss Maggie, and will be interested in what the vet thinks is causing this. As always, both of you remain in my prayers.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poor Maggie! I hope the shot kicks in and she's feeling better soon. Poor girl, she really can't catch a break. Give her some gentle belly rubs from me.]

As for the Merrick's...Jersey loves the Grammy's Chicken Pot Pie stuff. I buy it for her as an extra treat every once in a while. I'm glad that Maggie is enjoying it. It does smell pretty yummy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys ... poor Mags just had a seizure. It was brief and it was her first one in quite a while. We are both going to go rest but she did lose bladder control so have to clean up first -- wonder if she'll share her valium ...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Could the shot yesterday or maybe even just the excitement of the vet visit cause the seizure to have occurred? I'm sorry she is having struggles again. Hopefully her shoulder won't hurt her too bad.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Poor Maggie and poor Judy. I know this must be so hard for both of you. I will keep you in my prayers. Hope you are getting some rest right now.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Poor Miss Maggie! If the traumatic vet visit did not cause the seizure, I am sure it helped it along. Austin's seizures are usually tied to stress. Unfortunately it does not matter if it is good stress (zoomies) or bad stress (vet procedures). Easy does it Maggie, I am having shoulder problems too and I don't want to get no stinking shoot either! A calm, slow girls night in is best for both you and Maggie.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and Maggie! Hope y'all are able to get some rest and Maggie's shoulder gets better.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Poor Maggie. I hope she feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
How old is Maggie? If She is about 10 yrs old or more, that
is when Goober started having joint problems. That was
cured by adding fish oil to his diet & a small dose of
apple cider vinagar to his diet!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh Judy, our thoughts are with you and Maggie. these are hard times for you both.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear about Mags shoulder. Hopefully she feels better soon.

Summer has shoulder issues too. She had it when we got her. She had a series of Cosequin shots that has helped greatly. She does have occasional flare ups, but it goes away in a day or so.

Maybe thats an idea for Mags.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spoke to the vet tech this morning to have a notation put in her file about the seizure. We talked about possible reasons for the shoulder problem -- one is that it is due to the severe muscle loss she is experiencing as the result of havings Cushings. Another possibility is that she may well have had a seizure when I was out of the house and fallen onto her shoulder. (Kathleen -- Maggie's seizures are caused by the ammonia build-up in her brain as a result of liver failure. NR -- Maggie is now 13 1/2. Joe -- Maggie did have a series of Adequan shots a few years ago for arthritis in a back knee and she had great results. I will ask the vet about the Cosequin but not sure if that is an option if current problem is not caused by arthritis.) Maggie was comfortable this morning and even wanted to walk outside (in the 30 degree Florida weather!!!). Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally Posted By: BookerMooseJust wondering how Maggie is doing... hope she had a better day today than yesterday.
I really appreciate your checking. Unfortunately, last night did not bring better times. Maggie had cluster seizures (three within about four minutes). I was able to get some valium in her and, after about 30 minutes of pacing (this is her typical post-seizure behavior), she finally got some rest. More than I can say for me ... Unfortunately, because of her liver disease, we cannot put her on traditional seizure meds. I am going to look this weekend for some Rescue Remedy which is recommended on the epi angels website as an alternative, particularly useful for cluster seizures. You can actually put it on the dog's forehead if you can't get drops in the mouth. If given after seizures, you can mix it with some Breyer's ice cream and the combination is supposed to raise the blood sugar levels back up and reduce anxiety/pacing. I am keeping a log of her seizures and I realized something really odd last night -- 99% of her seizures have occurred/started around 7:30 at night. Hopefully, 7:30 tonight will be more peaceful!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Judy, I'm so sorry to read about Maggie's cluster seizures!
Those are so scary! Thankfully, Spook has only had them once, but I keep valium on hand in case he ever has them again. It is strange that Maggie's seizures always occur at about the same time.

I hope that this evening's more peaceful. You remain in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts