Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since we got her she would have these times where she would shake, we even thought it may be shivering because she was so small, or maybe because of her new home and all. She still "shivers" now and then but what has me a bit concerned is that she hardly ever wags her tail. She'll do it when someone comes home or if she's tracking a scent in the yard, but nothing like other dogs I've had over the years. They would start wagging just at the mention of their name. She gets plenty of attention and someone is always home so she's very rarely left alone. I just wonder if we're doing something wrong or if there is something we could do to help encourage her happiness. We're even considering a second beagle for her to bond with.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't remember how old you baby is, but maybe she is just not the exciting type?
If you are worried, you should take her to the vet and consult with him/her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Shivering could be caused by a number of things:
Fear, cold, pain, anxiousness.

I would have a vet look at her. Just to check for any physical issues.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie shivers when she smells even the smallest amount of smoke. The first time it happened she was a baby and my husband was cooking shrimp. The oil got too hot and smoked just a little. She also gets scared of loud sounds.
It would probably be a good idea to check with the vet to rule out pain. That might explain why she doesn't wag her tail often. If there is nothing physically wrong then you can try to figure out what she might be afraid of.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marley shivers when he is anxious, nervous, fearful. THat's how I would explain it. Like if we put him in the car, or if he hears a loud noise. Maybe that adds to the fact that she doesn't wag that much. Maybe she is a nervous pup?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She does seem to be nervous at times, and its not like she never wags her tail...I'd just like to see her happier more often, you know? We have a vet appointment on Monday so I'll bring it up then. We got her when she was about 10 weeks old and she'll be 6 months old on February 2nd.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It is only now, two years after we adopted Popcorn, that we are starting to see her wag her tail on a regular basis. She used to wag it before a bit inside, but nothing like our other two beagles and NEVER outside. But just over the last month or so we have seen a big change where she has even started to wag it outside! It is wonderful to see. She also shakes when she is scared (which is often).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts