Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

One of my friends is asking for advice and I'm not sure what to tell her. Would love some input!

She is 18 years old, full-time in nursing school, works part-time, and rides horses. She has a 8.5 month old beagle mix that is around 30 lbs and extremely active. Had the pup since she was 8 weeks old. Potty trained, knows sit, down, wait, stay, hold on, come, inside, outside, in the car, nice, enough, paw, wave, over, under, through, easy. Good with most other dogs (can get into scuffles with other dominant females). She is the sweetest thing and loves to cuddle and be petted. The pup needs to be watched every second she is out of her create because she is EXTREMELY food motivated and swipes food from counters, tables, etc. She also loves to steal and chew stuff when in her "naughty mode". She lives with two cats and has learned to leave them alone most of the time. Loves going to the dog park and playing with her friends. Her mom does not have a fenced in yard so she is either on a tether or on leash. She spends an hour a day roughly at the park and goes for a mile sometimes two walk each day. She also chases food thrown around the house. She has some separation anxiety and doesn't do well in a crate or away from people.

Originally the puppy was going to be my friend's family's dog but a few weeks after adoption they were going to bring her back to the shelter. My friend believes that people shouldn't just abandon their dogs because they are hard so she convinced them to keep her. The puppy had picked my friend to be her person. At this point the family is done taking care of the pup because she takes up so much time and is so much work. My friend is really struggling to balance everything and doesn't know if it was the best decision to keep the puppy. Installing a fence is not an option and neither are stopping college or work (the cats are hers also). She feels guilty for not wanting her all the time and for keeping her in the house a lot of the time. She also feels bad that because of it being hard for her the pup might need to be re-homed. She was thinking maybe the pup would be happier at a farm with plenty of room to run and smells to track. Would it be better off for both of them? Would the pup always be waiting for her to come back?

Also, she have many activities planned for the summer (working at a camp, kayaking, spending a lot of time riding horses, etc) that would be hard with the pup. Even at home it is hard for her to do stuff like sew, scrapbook, draw, etc because the pup needs to be watched. She says it's like a full-time job to watch her.
Thank you

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Clearly you have presented the reasons for rehoming the dog in my opinion. Too many activities interfere with having a calm, well adjusted dog. It takes at least 3 years for beagles to calm down.
Look for a loving home.

·
Super Moderator
5,352 Posts
Sounds like finding a new home would be best for both the beagle and your friend. A beagle can be happy in many types of homes as long as they get training, attention and exercise. I live in a townhouse and have a beagle, he is super happy. Beagles are amazing pets but definitely need structure and a schedule to help with separation issues.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I agree - she sounds like a wonderful person, and will make a wonderful owner when her life is less full. But at this time in her life, she has too many things going on to be what her beagle needs.

Reactions: allymcbeagle

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also agree. While very hard to make the decision, she has clearly weighed her available time and the puppy's needs. I did not have a fence, and worked full time but had my lunch-time and evenings free; plus my husband was home all day but I literally spent all my free time with the puppy.

I feel she is doing the responsible thing to rehome her dog with someone who can give it the time it requires; encourage her not feel like she failed; sometimes we all take on more than we can "chew"! The new owners will be getting a great dog!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts