Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should i mak Timber Puppyless

Timber has been with us for 10 months now and she has become very well behaved in some areas but still very silly in others.

She can be very nasty sometimes and she often humps my leg.

So the question is should i get her neuted?

She is 10 months old. Can anyone who has had this done tell me what the difference in behaiour is.

Thank you

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Should i mak Timber Puppyless

If you have no plans to breed her - yes, definitely spay her!
It will be much healthier for her, no womb infections and such, and will be less messier for you.
The change in behavior is more profound as soon as the spay is done while they are young. 10 months of age is still good (especially if she hadn't had her first cycle yet).

Of course that it will all have to be accompanied with behavior correction by you!

·
Registered
42 Posts

Why are you all so 100% yes in the question spay or don't spay?

In holland we don't do it that easy. even if you don't want to breed.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Originally Posted By: DanielleWhy are you all so 100% yes in the question spay or don't spay?

In holland we don't do it that easy. even if you don't want to breed.
In the US, we have a huuuuge problem with strays--most of which end up having to be euthanized in shelters. There are some behavioral benefits for a large number of dogs, but there are also a good amount of health benefits (cancer in the reproductive organs and regions to name one of many).

http://www.canineobedienceunlimited.com/news/fixing-your-pet/

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I, too, say spay!
Benefits include no accidental puppies when there are already so many homeless dogs, less risk of mammary tumors, eliminates the messiness that accompanies the heat cycle....those are just things I can think of off the top of my head.

Since we have a big problem with homeless animals here in the US, spaying and neutering helps to keep the problem from becoming even worse.

·
Registered
847 Posts

For us Bodie is simply a pet. We have no desire to breed him, show him or do trials with him. We also wanted to minimize the urge to hump legs, stuffed animals, other dogs, etc. Plus in Sacramento, there is a HUGE difference in the price we have to pay for the dog license if the dog isn't neutered. I mean we're talking hundreds of dollars a year.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Originally Posted By: DanielleWhy are you all so 100% yes in the question spay or don't spay?
I had mine spayed because I was worried about unwanted pregnancies - I don't think submitting your pet to a major operation is the perfect solution but I've seen too many unwanted puppies at shelters. However, I think that having your dog spayed just because you are worried about the monthly 'mess' is completely unethical and on a par with having it 'de-barked'

On the OPs question - I didn't notice any long term difference in behaviour (or appearance) but she was sterilised at a bit over a year old.

·
Registered
421 Posts

this is a question i am still wrestling with. part of me would like to see her have some puppies. the other part of me is afraid of her getting cancer. what if i was to let her have a litter, and then do the operation? could that work?

·
Registered
582 Posts

Here's a link...

It's probably the most convincing list of reasons I've ever seen, for <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> breeding.

Thinking about breeding?

The hardest part when having a your girl spayed, is keeping her calm for a few days after the surgery. I don't think our Sadie even noticed that something had happened to her.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts

Its a personal decision, i say you look into the side effects of spaying. Many dogs have problems holding their bladders afterward and spaying and neutering can cause bone density problems later on in life. There is research being done in tuban litigation for female dogs so that the hormones are still produces and circulate the body as they do indeed help their health.

I say think it over carefully as it cannot be reversed and also think very well of the timing, the age in which you spay and neuter is very important.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.