Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long post, sorry:

I have been Arty's "parent" for almost a year now and I have always ALWAYS thought he is the sweetest dog around. When I am with him and we go on walks he is SO friendly to all the strangers, walking up to them with his happy grin and waggy tail. In fact, he's so friendly I always thought he would probably not be a good guard dog (as most beagles aren't, i heard).

Recently there have been a few break-ins and even one assault at the apartment complex that I live in (it's making my bf and I think about moving out) which have made me pretty nervous. My bf says I can relax at night bc if Arty hears something he'll let us know, but I have always been doubtful bc Arty is just too friendly/lazy to care.

Well, today I took Arty for a walk (during the day time!) on his leash and I was talking to the bf on my cell phone so i wasnt really paying attention. We walked in one direction on the sidewalk but I noticed a stranger coming towards us so I pulled arty back in the other direction and I started walking the other way. Arty is still about 15 feet behind me as I start walking away. Well, next thing i know I hear this LOUD growl/snarl/bark and a mad pulling at the lease. I didnt even think the bark was from Arty bc i have NEVER heard a sound like that come out of him. I look back thinking maybe the stranger had a dog I didnt know about but see that it was Arty, his hackles are up and he is at attention staring at the stranger and growling a little bit. Now, i dont think the stranger did anything to him but it all happened so fast and the stranger looked a little scared so i was apologizing and trying to make a quick get away thinking my dog has gone crazy. but now i am thinking, maybe Arty was trying to protect me? Esp bc I had turned my back on the stranger? But the thing is, the stranger is one of my neighbors at my apartment complex (i think) bc he was heading to the complex office which was near where i was at the time, i dont think he was doing anything vicious to me or arty.... but again i have NEVER ever ever seen that kind of behavior come from Arty before.

After the guy was out of sight Arty was his happy, adorable, merry little self, leaving me speechless and confused.

What do you guys think? Should I be worried? or impressed that maybe arty would be a good guard dog after all? Does anyone else have example stories of mellow dogs turned heros?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would be proud, Arty thought this stranger was up to no good and was protecting you! It's a strange person he doesn't know approaching you when you aren't aware.

If this behaviour is out of the ordinary I wouldn't be worried, it sounds like he was trying to protect you! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
All right Arty! Good boy!! He sensed something about the person behind you. Or he wanted to alert you to his presence. I would not worry, I would be very proud of your Arty!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think Arty is the man!!! Trust a dog's instincts!!

I just saying the other day, Chloe is my little Rotty, she growls everytime there is something suspicious, and when one of the Superintendent guys comes over to fix stuff.... she senses something I'm sure.

Be proud!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yep, I'm on the proud side, too. He was protecting his mommy. Though you're not sure what set him off, I'd trust his instincts.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd be proud too! Dogs can sense things about people that we can't. I ALWAYS trust my dogs' instincts about people. I had a keeshond for about 14 years, I always said if anyone tried to break in, she'd show them where the silver was kept. WRONG! In all the years I had Sasha I heard her growl only ONCE - and that scared the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eyes.gif out of me! Someone jumped our front fence about 1 am one morning. My bedroom was in the front of the house and the windows opened to the front porch. I turned my light on - then got up and turned the living room light and front porch lights on - THEN I opened the front door - Sasha was a medium sized dog, but her "brother", Max, was a HUGE chow cross - about the size of a German Shepherd, but looked like a GIANT chow - when the idiots got a glimpse of Maxie, they high tailed it across the fence and we never saw them again. I didn't let Max out - but DID let my daughter's Chow cross out (Max would have gone after them - he could get out if he wanted to) - but Cody just scared the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eyes.gif out of them. My door, by the way, was a steel mesh security screen door - almost impossible to break in unless they took it off the hinges. Guess they thought the little old lady was fair game - but they didn't count on the 3 dogs protecting me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm not trying to scare you, but Arty sensed something he did not like and didn't want him near you. He very easily could have just been startled or very protective (since you were not at home). How well do you know this fellow? All because he is a neighbor, doesn't mean he is a good guy (unless you know therwise).

All dogs have that protective instinct for their pack members. You may never see it, until something triggers it. Then you are left wondering... Is that MY dog?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
MD took the words out of my mouth ... was thinking that Arty recognized something in that guy that you didn't. Another thought is that it is possible that the guy was starting to do something aggressive but stopped when Arty started growling -- if I understand your scenario, your back was turned to him at that point.
I think Arty deserves a extra treat and keep alert when you are walking!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know dogs sence things in us all the time. and maybe he senced that you were nevous. so his natural instinct would be to protect.

i think its a good thing that he protects you. as long as the agression doesnt get to out of hand than its ok.

diesel did that last night too... i was at home waiting for my bf to get to my house. it was late and i had not heard from him so i assumed he would not be comming over. but all of a sudden i heard a knock at the door and i got really nervous and diesel jumped up and growled and barked until i told him that i was ok

good dogs hehe

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'd be proud too.

My first dog Lilly was not aggressive in any way towards people. She liked people, was friendly and never barked or growled at them although she was aloof at times. I never thought that she would be a good guard dog until one fateful day.

I was walking her in the park (pre Rosa days) when we passed a man sitting on the bench. As I walked passed him I could smell that he was drunk. Next thing I know he's flung his arms around me and wouldn't let go. Lilly started growling at him like the most ferocious thing I've ever heard and she was pulling back her lips to show him her teeth.

He wasn't put off by this and tried to push her away with his foot...she BIT him on the leg /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif He yelped in pain, although I couldn't see any blood, let go of me and hobbled away as fast as he could with Lilly snapping at his heels (she was off the lead).

I was SO proud of her because if she hadn't acted the way she did who knows what might have happened.

Like the others have said, dogs sense things we don't, always trust their instincts because they are normally right.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh my gosh, after reading all of the inspiring stories I definitely think Arty was a hero last night. I am so proud of him!!

I also found out that he protected my parent's house one time - they were dog sitting for me and my mom opened the front door to let Arty out to potty- usually he just runs to the front lawn, does his business, and comes back, but he noticed someone parked in front of our house and i guess something about that person looked wrong to Arty (also, at the same time, my mom saw that person and was kind of scared, she said he looked suspicious) so either arty picked up on my mom's feelings or just knew something wasnt right - I guess he ran right up to the guy and barked and snarled too!!

I am soo proud of arty now - and i feel pretty safe with him around. He is getting EXTRA treats, kisses, and hugs tonight.

Thank you for sharing your stories!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel woke me up one time at 1:30 AM with the loudest Bark (First time he barked) I every heard. That weekend I found out from my neighbors that the police had been chasing a prowler through the backyards about that time. Dogs know, they sense things, and the react according. Arty did good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yes i would be proud too. Meg like most beags loves everybody and everything but a while ago, a man came here to buy my brothers car which we were storing and meg went mad at him, growling with her hackels up etc etc. it was a bit embarasing as she would not stop doing it. anyway, my husband who is a policeman felt that there was something not right about this man and that meg didnt like him in her house. Then the other day, the gas man came to read the meter and let himself into our porch where the meter cupboard is, because we didnt let him in and welcome him, meg could see him in the porch and again was growling and barking. so all these people who say that beagles will let burglers and nasty people in to your house must be wrong because i am sure that Meg knows what's what and would try and protect us.

·
Registered
751 Posts
GO ARTY!

I thought the same thing about my Charlie angel - Cocker Spaniel we were owned by. He was the sweetest thing, thought he would never hurt a fly. But one day, we had someone fixing the kitchen and Charlie snapped on him, bit him! No one that knew him believed he did such a thing, it was so out of character. He didn't hurt him, just grazed, but he meant business. My mother told me he sensed something, and it was a warning.

He never bit anyone else ever again or even attempted so I know something was up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts