Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed today homer had some swelling on his bottom.wasn't there last night and he is fine-playing and eating as normal.not messing with it either-i don't think he even knows.i thought maybe he might have gotten bit or something by a bug.is this something i should be worried about?sorry about the icky pic but figured it was best to take a pic than describe it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/smoke20fan/100_0315.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
It does look inflamed. Perhaps some allergy or anal glad issues and he is messing with it making it worse? They tend to poke at themselves when no one is around or everyone is sleeping.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm hoping it's not his anal glands /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif we don't feed him soft food and he has those white liquid drops after he poops(which y'all said was good /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif)i'll keep an eye on him for a couple of days and if he messes with it or it doesn't go away off to the vet we go

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If Homer's glands were full and irritating him, inflammation could be from scooting. I would also recommend a trip to the vet to express his glands and have inflammation checked out. By the way, "no soft food" is no guarantee that glands won't fill up. Maggie never had anything but dry food but had serious problems with frequently irritated anal glands.

·
Registered
443 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif Well I waited (sitting on my fingers here) to reply cause sometimes I think maybe I jump the gun on taking the Beaglebratz to the vet so this time, I wanted to see if others agree with what I was basically thinking and guess what - they do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif Neither of my bratz ever have soft food except for maybe an occasional spoonful or two of cottage cheese or yogurt. I usually have to heve Shiloh's expressed every few weeks. So far I haven't had to do it with Shasta. And yes, the scooting will irritate that area.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I agree. Sounds like an anal glad problem to me as well.

I posted a concern here back in 2006:
Quote:My daughter noticed that Abby's anus was red so I glanced at it and it is red and it looks almost swollen a bit. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, or how to help her?
I ended up taking her to the vet:
Quote:Abby's butt is find the vet said she could not find anything wrong and that she had probably just irritated it somehow. Sure enough her butt is back to normal.
She hasn't had any anal gland issues since then, thankfully (knock on wood).

Here's my thread if you care to read everyone's replies:
http://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=2021&Number=23685#Post23685

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no smell from it either and he acts perfectly fine,no scooting,scratching,biting or anything-like he has no clue like anything is amiss with his bottom-which is why i am a little hesitant on going to the vet asap to find out it is nothing.he has an appt friday for his heartworm test so hopefully it gets better in a day or two or else we will be going earlier.poor homer-his 1st b-day is tuesday and i hope we don't have to go the vet and he is better by then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smack.gif if by chance he lets me near his bottom is there any kind of OTC ointment or something i can put on it to make the swelling go down if it's not his anal glands?

·
Registered
667 Posts
it is so red, it looks inflammed, maybe infected...not sure if dogs get hemorrhoids or not, but he is really young for that.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You might give your vet a call. Tell them the situation and that you already have an appointment. They might tell you to move up the appt. or that it is o.k. to wait.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Asking the vet is a good idea -- if they say you can wait, ask them if you can apply some "A & D Ointment" or "Dr. Smith's Diaper Rash Cream" on the external inflamed area. The latter is super stuff -- recommended by my vet whenever Maggie had urine irritation or irritation outside of gland area.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well homer started licking today and seemed to be straining when he had to go so we took him to the vet this afternoon.anal glands
were fine and stool sample came back ok so she thinks he might have eaten something outside that may have given him an infection in his tummy area so he has some pills to take to clear it up if there is an infection and some cream for the *ahem* outer parts.hopefully this will make him all better or she wants to do xrays to see what the problem could be.on the plus side tho he is happy and playful as ever so it doesn't seem to bother him too much-and his heartworm test came back negative so all is well there /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well, I am sorry to hear it wasn't better today. Get your bum well soon, Homer! Keep us posted.

BTW, Great on the heartworm test!!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope the problem will be sorted out soon, great news re the heartworm test being negative.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally Posted By: Marley's MommyHow's Homer?
he is back to his normal self /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif no need for the cream any more but still giving him all his pills to amke sure if there is an infection it is all gone.he is having fun right now "helping" hubby do yardwork.....lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts