Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about $300 later - with the help of some xrays, found out that Shiloh has sometime injured his tail. He now has severe arthritis - 2 disks are completely gone, one is calcified and has bone spurs on two separate vertebrae. More later - going home from work.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Shiloh! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif I was so hoping that it was "just" a gland problem. Do fill us in when you get a chance -- anxious to hear about treatment options. Hang in there! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/PuppyEyes.gif Ok - a little more info now. I had not seen much improvement by yesterday eve and the fact that Shiloh had been bruised in that area before (tail) we went back to the vet clinic and saw one of the other vets (I think this one is the best of the group). He had Shiloh's record - read what had been going on this past week and listened to me then decided that Shiloh should have a complete rectal exam under anesthesia (because having his anal glands cleaned causes him so much pain), also wanted xrays. So Shiloh got to stay at the vet's overnite. It was the xraays that were most helpful - altho I could have done without hearing about it and Shiloh could do without the arthritis but that is what the problem is. It is all in his tail. I am wondering if when he first bruised it a year or so ago, if that is when the arthritis first began to set in. Anyway, what I said in the first post - 2 disks gone, 1 calcified and 2 bone spurs on 2 separate vertebrae - that's all in his tail. So he will continue on the Tramadol - at least for the time being. Beaglesmom told me about her good luck with Glucosamine and I have heard alot of good stuff about it over the years so will most likely add that to the regimen. Naive little me thought the Glucosamine/Chondroitan in Shiloh's food would be enuf - and for some dogs it probably is - but guess not for Shiloh. Anyway, better go for now - I want to do do some research - anyone ever hear of arthritis is a dog's tail?

Also got the final game in the NCAA Final Four Tournament(altho now it's down to 2) in a couple of hours so not sure if I will be bak tonite.
<span style='font-size: 14pt'> ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS - GO K.U.!!!!!!!!!!</span>

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yikkkkkkes! Sorry to hear it.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about this. Like Judy said, I'll be curious, also, to hear treatment options.

What level of the tail are the problems at? And this may be a crazy question, but in the event of severe pain, do they remove part of the tail?

Keep us posted.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Poor baby! Sorry to hear about Shiloh's tail. Hope the treatment plans have him feeling better soon.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for asking - I think he may be very slowly improving. His tail is still down for the most part. He still whines when he poos. He is out of the Rimadyl and I seriously doubt that I will refill - it didn't seem to help much & I have heard more bad than good about it. I want to start him on a Glucosamine-Chondroitin supplement and see if that helps. The vet said there were no limitations on activity but we are not visiting for at least 2-3 more weeks. He is on Tramadol rite now - 50mg 3 times a day.

I need to get to bed before have the imprint of the keyboard on my face. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh.gif

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
If the Rimadyl isn't helping much, you might want to ask about Deramax. We had one of our previous dogs on it (not a beagle) and where the Rimadyl didn't help, the Deramax worked wonders for her.

I hope Shiloh cotinues to improve!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wub.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/biggrin.gif I talked some more to my vet, Dr. Carder about the xrays he took of Shiloh's tail - the main problem is located rite at the base of the tail, where the tail joins the spine - this I kindof figured but the next piece of information he told me, even tho I think the suspicion had begun, hearing him say it sent a shiver through me; depending on how the degeneration progresses - the fact that Shiloh whines/cries when he poos - there is a chance Shiloh would end up having his tail AMPUTATED!

Shiloh is acting a little better tonite - his tail is up more often and sometimes is up for a longer length of time and he is wagging it a little more. But I am going to be doing some research on feeding and treating this - the amputation will ONLY come as a very LAST RESORT and AFTER a second/third opinion. Shiloh is without a doubt officially on a diet with a different dog food - nore protein less grain, he will be started on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement as well as get more exercise - so far, the vet has put no limitations on his activity. In the meantime I am also going to try and find some kind of info about arthritis specific to the tail. I may find out some info about acupuncture and whatever else is available. I know dogs can get along without their tails but BEAGLES ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE A TAIL! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pimp.gif

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Gosh Kim, that's not the news I was expecting to hear. Sounds like you're doing everything possible to help him get better though, and I will definitely keep him in thought and prayer.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And now for a little better news, at least today anyway - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grr.gif
I am coming to the realization that, 1.This is not going to be a quik fix thing and 2.it is gonna be an up & down time - improvements & feel good times are likely gonna come & go - hopefully they will come & stay for longer periods of time then not. Anyway, Shiloh went to sniff something outside - suddenly snorted a bit then turned & ran off in the opposite direction - his tail flowing out, not carried down like it usually is lately. He is also not guarding himself against Shasta's antics quite as much. Just looking at him sometimes he looks more happy & alert. I almost cried last nite - happy cry. The travel crate I bought for when Shiloh & I go visit - I bought a kind that can have wheels attached; since I don't drive I use public transportation for people with disabilities & Shiloh has to ride in that crate when we go visit. Anyway, last nite, I was replacing those wheels & was working a little with Shasta wanting to go in the crate - she's not as good at it as Shiloh but eventually did go in. But while we were working at this in the kitchen, Shiloh moseyed on out to see what we were doing. In working with Shasta, I had thrown a little piece of food into the crate. Shiloh saw that food way in the bak of the crate & proceeded to walk rite in, get the food then turned around & sat down then looked at me as if to say "Ok mom - I'm in here now so let's go". About the only time I have used the crate with him is when we go visit, which we haven't done for almost a month so I think he is telling me he wants to visit That was one thing I really didn't want to have to take away from him - guess he's telling me I don't have to. Also, when we were outside a little while ago & he had to go potty - a very little whine is all, no cry when he poo'd.

When Shasta & I were at Petsmart for her class this morning, I picked up a supplement for Shiloh - it has Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin Sulfate, MSM & Ester C - the tablets are kinda large so he had to chew it - they have a liver base to them so he really liked it.

Ok - that is enuf for now. Shasta really enjoys her obedience classes - she is the typical energetic young Beagle you read about. I'd read in books about Beagles that they had lots of energy & needed lots of exercise & I would look at Shiloh snoozing on the sofa & I think "what are they talking about" but then Shasta came along - now I know what they are talking about - I love it. Gotta go for now.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I love "good news" reports! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif Supplement sounds like the perfect thing for Shiloh -- glad Shasta is enjoying her class.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts