Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I got the call to come pick her up at noon. On my way out to the humane society I got my car stuck in a ditch (we have way too much snow!) but I finally got there. She's pretty ouchy from her surgery. They gave us her anti-biotics and pain killers. And home we went. She's been whining non-stop, I think a lot of it is from the pain. She is non-weight bearing on the leg for the next few days. They said by day 3 or 4 post-op she should start putting some weight on it. No jumping or stairs for a little while. No long walks either. It took a while for her to get comfortable. She can't figure quite the right way to lay down so that her tummy and leg don't hurt. The vet gave us an extra pain killer to give her when she's really uncomfortable.

Ooh I forgot to announce her name. We decided to name her Olive. After the cute little girl in Little Miss Sunshine.

Oscar was very curious when he met her at home. But he isn't too interested in her. He was more focused on smelling where she had been than her actual self. He did try to sniff her when she was laying down and she snapped at him, but I imagine it's because she's feeling vulnerable right now so we're keeping him away from her when she's resting.

Here's a few pics /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif More later once she's settled in more. The pics are off my PDA so they aren't the best quality.

Her sweet face:

Oscar & Olive with my BF John:

And of course Oscar being cute:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Hi Olive!! Welcome home!! Poor little thing, what a sweet face she has!! ( And of course Oscar is cute as ever!!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll admit I'm starting to get a little nervous. She snapped at Oscar early when he smelled her and she was lying down. So I've been keeping her apart. Then about 30 minutes ago he walked past her, not stopping to smell or anything, and she lunged at him. He is very submissive and layed down cowering. I pulled her away and she layed back down. She fell back asleep and then just a few moments ago she woke up when he was at the other end of our large bed stretching and she lunged at him snarling again. Completely unprovoked and without him near her.

I've had a two dog house before and never had any problems. I'm not sure how to handle this /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif My happiness earlier is starting to waver as I don't know how to make them both happy. Oscar just wants to relax and she wants to snarl at him. She even went to lay on his pillow and he didn't mind. He just walked away and found another spot far away. Is there a better way I can be doing this?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
OOh, I'm sure her behavior comes as a shock (she IS so pretty by the way; I want to add my welcome!)

It's going to be okay. It's simply going to take some time. I would definitely get a crate for her. Perhaps a 'home' to call her own during this adjustment period.

She doesn't know you yet, or Oscar. She's been through a terrible ordeal, had to undergo surgery....and is now recuperating in a strange place...she might just be afraid and unsure.

Don't worry. Things are going to just take longer than you planned. Bless you for rescuing her. :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She's beautiful. Her attitude towards Oscar may be from a combination of being in new surroundings, plus also being in pain. Dogs have a way of warning off others when they don't want to be bothered. Do you have a crate for her while she's recuperating? That might make her feel more secure, and give Oscar more latitude.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She does have a crate but does not like to be in it as of yet. She howled and scratched at the door when I put her in there earlier so I could go pick up some more medication. Hopefully we can get through the rest of the night more smooth. Poor little girl, she is very sweet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Another solution might be to use a baby gate to keep Oscar and Olive in separate rooms until she's feeling better. It sometimes takes a little time for adjustment even when both dogs are feeling their best. My guess is that once she settles in a little, and the pain eases, her attitude will improve. I believe you said that she and Oscar had met and gotten along at the shelter, so it seems to follow that pain may be a factor in her behavior.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Tami -- Olive is a very beautiful addition to your family. I would have to agree that her behavior is a combination of fear and pain. Lots of new happenings in strange surroundings -- probably a good idea to really try to separate Olive and Oscar until Olive is feeling better. Oscar sounds like he has lots of patience -- hugs to both!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice, and the welcomes to Olive. A few more questions if you don't mind /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Should I keep the crate in out bedroom still? Or put it somewhere else in the house? (I would hate for her to be alone)
If she howls and whines in the crate what is the best way to calm her in the crate?

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Well, I am one who believes that dogs are pack animals and by leaving them in another roon all night that makes them feel like they are being abandoned by the pack. When I got my dogs, I crated them on the bed between our feet. That way I could hear if they were awake and upset. Usually by just putting my fingers in the crate, they would calm down. If you can't fit the crate on the bed (we had a travel carrier) I would out it on the floor next to the bed. Where does Oscar sleep?

I would give them time, they are still just trying to battle out who is boss and obviously Olive thinks that it is her. She may be in pain from her surgery and is upset. That is a whole lot of new things in one day. Give them time, she will come around. She is gorgeous BTW.

Good luck with them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
She is a beautful lucky girl! Hope she starts feeling better soon!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome Olive! She's a beautiful girl. I'm sure that she just needs time to recover from her surgery and get used to her new surroundings. She must be so scared right now. She's just been through surgery and then brought into a new home. Once she's feeling better, I think she'll adjust just fine. Good luck! Hugs to the newest member of our community!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think, too, that Olive would probably be happiest if her crate's in the bedroom at night, and where she can see you at other times. Other than giving her something to chew on, a toy, a blanket, etc., I don't really have any suggestions about how to keep her calm in her crate. None of our dogs ever minded being crated, and Spook still sleeps in his. We do drape a blanket so that it covers part of the front and sides. Don't know whether that'd help or not.

Once again, I'm struck by how much Oscar resembles my dearly departed Shadow. :heart:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to Olive - she is adorable! I definitely agree with everyone who has suggested keeping Oscar and Olive separated for a bit until Olive is feeling better - I can just imagine how scary it must be for her going through surgery and then getting a new family, basically all at the same time. Good luck getting through the next few days - I'm sure things will start to go smoother once Olive is feeling better...

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh wow Olive is very beautiful! Welcome!
She is in a state of shock still, similar to nursing her own pups, she is nursing herself, it is all natural behavior, hope she will settle down and heal quickly. When I first had Charlie, I put his crate in my bedroom with the door facing us, calling him every now and then so he felt secure. You may want to do so too.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Olive is a beauty! And I love her name.

I, too, think that keeping them separated for a while is a good idea. She's probably so scared and hurting that she's just trying to adjust to all the newness of her situation. Poor Oscar, trying to be a sweet brother, is just as confused as you are /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Olive needs time to feel better. She'll be okay as time and healing take place.

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts