Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got back from the vets and I'm afraid it's very bad news. Sherry's tumour was malignent.

She has Fibrohistiocytic Neoplasia Grade III which basicaly means a soft tissue malignancy of the highest grade. They are graded from I to III with the latter being the worst. The prognosis for this type of tumour is very poor. It's a very aggressive type and seeing as she has grade III her life expectancy is a maximum of 12 months. The next place that a tumour is likely to grow, and it will for sure so I'm told, will be the liver or lungs.

She's also had a heart scan today. This revealed that only one side of her heart is working properly. She's on heart meds now which should help her somewhat. Considering her heart disease, age and the aggressiveness of the malignency we decided between us that cancer meds like chemotherapy would not be a route that we wish to take. The laboratory technicians also implied that chemotherapy would not be a viable option in Sherry's case.

She's got to go back in 2 weeks for a check up and to see what effect the heart meds have had and whether the dosage needs to be changed.

On the plus side she seems very happy and full of life at the moment. She's bouncing around like a puppy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Every day that I'm blessed with my furbabies is precious but it will be even more so now.

Wish I had better news for you all but sadly I don't /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
OMG I am so sorry that you are all going through this. Give Sherry an extra big hug for us. I agree that Chemo probably wouldn't be the best option in this case, especially not if it is a grade III. She is blessed to have you as her mommy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jennifer -- my heart goes out to you! I am so glad that she is not uncomfortable and is enjoying life. Please give her a gentle hug from Maggie and me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jennifer, my heart dropped when I saw the thumbs down icon next to the post headline. So sorry that Sherry's tumor was malignant, she definitely deserves better /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I hope that her bouncy and happy days will increase the painful and bad days /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

·
Registered
230 Posts
Jennifer,
I am so sorry to hear this news. Give Sherry a good snuggle for us, and keep posting her status. I'd like to say something encouraging, but I am not that good with words. Blessings be with you, and may Sherry remain comfortable for a good bit.

Sylvia

·
Registered
193 Posts
So sorry to hear this news.Hope she stays comfortable for a long time yet.
Yvonne

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I am so sorry - my heart just fell when I saw the icon beside your message. I hope Sherry remains comfortable and pain free for as long as possible, and am so happy for her that she was able to find you so that she doesn't have to go through this alone and unloved...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jennifer, I'm so sorry. I wish you had gotten better news. Reading your post put tears in my eyes. Give Sherry some Beagle kisses from me and Jersey...and a big hug to you and your family.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
My heart is heavy as I read this post; how I hoped for a better prognosis.

You've already made Sherry's senior years more wonderful, and having an adult rescue myself, I know you were hoping for more time with her.

She is a blessed girl, and you are her angel family. Keeping you all in my prayers.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, Jennifer, I'm so sorry to read this bad news. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I'm glad, though, that Sherry's feeling well now. Hopefully, she can continue to enjoy a quality life. You have been such a godsend to this lovely beagle, and I know her time with you has been filled with more joy than she'd previously had in her whole life.

You've both been in my prayers, and will remain there.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am so sorry. When my kitty was diagnosed with cancer, I opted for no treatment. I brought her home and spoiled her rotten with all the treats and tuna and food that her kidney diet had prevented her from eating. I think she had good quality of life for her last year. I wish the same for Sherry. I will keep you in my prayers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/heart.gif Im sorry to hear such sad news, sending you my thoughts and prayers..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts