Our Beagle World Forums banner

Sherry Update

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  ricksconnected 
#1 ·
Sherry just played with a toy for the first time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It was lovely to see her throw a tuggy rope in the air then roll on it for all of 5 seconds. That doesn't sound much but it's the first time she's even looked at the toys never mind played with one.

We are going to tackle what to do about the gerbils at the weekend but she does seem to have forgotton about them at the moment.

Two questions I have if anybody knows the answers. I don't have any experience of dogs that have had puppies so I don't know if this is a mothering thing or some other reason but Sherry keeps on cleaning Rosa. She spends ages cleaning out her ears, eyes and feet....saves me the job I suppose :hi:

She also has very dry skin which flakes off when she scratches. I'm going to get her some cod liver oil capsules but if anyone knows anything better to take orally? thanks. I don't want to bath her again because the foster mummy already bathed her twice in one month and that will make her skin even drier if I do it again. She is due to go to the vets next Tuesday for a check up and I'll mention it then.

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:

We are going to tackle what to do about the gerbils at the weekend but she does seem to have forgotton about them at the moment.
So glad Sherry feels secure enough to begin playing! I know it must have been exciting to watch her! Don't know much about dry skin, but something just occured to me about the gerbils: they must be something she's never smelled before, I imagine. And maybe she's getting used to the idea that is just a smell that comes with her new home, so she's not trying to get to them anymore. Just a thought.

#4 ·
I still recall the first time the Bagel played. What a great Sherry Report. Sounds like her and Rosabella are get very close and Sherry is gettintg comfortable with her new home. Hopefully, Genie's idea that Sherry will come to associate the Gerbil's with a acceptable house smell and not prey in my den. Good luck this weekend.

#5 ·
That's awesome, I'm glad Sherry is happily settled in /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I remember the first time Monty played...we were at the breeders and he grabbed a toy out of my hand. He still has that toy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

#7 ·
How great that Sherry has actually played with a toy. Upon rare occasions Li'l Girl has, but she still doesn't really play. At this point, I'm guessing she never will. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I give my pack brewer's yeast and garlic tablets which also contain Omega 3 fatty acids. All have nice shiny coats, and no problem with dryness.

#8 ·
Glad to hear that Sherry is fitting in so well - and has forgotten the gerbils for the time being. At one time our former doggy daycare was looking after someone's pet prairie dogs (strange pet) for a couple of weeks - and apparently Moose became OBSESSED with them... The problem went away when the prairie dogs went back to their home - but as long as they were there the only thing they could do was lock Moosie out of the area where they were kept - even then he kept trying to get at them.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen Booker play with toys in the seven years we have had her - I wish she would do it more but I just don't think she "gets" toys... glad to hear that Sherry might be figuring it out!

Popcorn also cleans Booker and Moose's ears - and other parts of them if she can... they actually seem to enjoy it when she does it (unless she decides that their nether regions need some attention - then they definitely don't like it!). Popcorn has never had a litter so I don't think in her case it is necessarily a mothering thing - but it sure is touching when she does it.

#11 ·
Bonnie who has never had puppies always goes around and cleans the other two beags. Willow however never cleans anyone even though Rasha is her puppy. She was an excellent mother and clean the pups very well. So I guess its just a cleaning gene or something like that!

Our old lab had very dry skin all we did was changed her food to one with an higher oil content and it did the trick. Arden Grange Classic is quite oily give it a try.

#12 ·
Thanks everyone.

The cleaning rituals continue and Rosa seems to really enjoy it....perhaps a little too much :hi:

Iain, I am gradually switching her food from the one that the foster mummy was feeding her (Burns) to the one I want to feed her (James Wellbeloved). If it doesn't improve over the next month I'll think of something else. It's not that bad and not all over, just a strip down her back and looks like dandruff.

#13 ·
Cleaning might be maternal or it might be a way to 'honor' the alpha.

If so, Rosa MUST be enjoying the attention. I'm so glad things are progressing nicely for all of you. :thumbup:

#15 ·
I am so happy she is coming around.
Playing with toys is huge! She is starting to feel at home and the licking is a sign of affection!!!!!!!That is such great news! That means she is happy and really likes your other Beagle alot!
Everyday will get better.
SOme rescue dogs get hot spots from being scared and some get dry skin. I bet since she is starting to get comfortable the dry skin will go away. If not you can put a dab of olive oil in her food. That should help.

#16 ·
:happyhappy:

the cleaning thing is a good thing honestly. its a sign that they accept eachother. i agree with the statement that the beagle was just getting use to the new smell of the gerbils.

flaking skin is a sign of many different things.
non of which are to bad. i would try fax oil.
try the oil that you gotta store in the frig.
your better quality flax oil will require being stored in the frig, and will come in a blk bottle. light causes oxidation. warm temps kill the shelf life of the oil too.
bernies skin use to flake real bad. i was forced to change his diet a bit and included flax oil too. man, the difference is amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.