Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a lot of reading into Beagles before getting Georgia.
part of this was because some of what I read told me that Beagles did not shead alot a brushing 1 or 2 times a week & you would be good

well we have had Georgia for it will be 3 months on may 31st & she is sheading like CRAZY it is driving me nutz I have to vaccume every day because there is dog hair all over everything what can I do & will it ever stop

If I bring her to a groomer for a good scrubbing would this help???

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Maggie doesn't shed much, but she's mostly black. I've heard that dark dogs shed less than light colored dogs...not sure how accuratethat is, but in my case it runs true. Maggie hardly sheds at all, while Spinelli (my son's tan colored dog) sheds like crazy. Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a tri color and a red and white and they both shed a lot, they always have. I vacuum 2 times a day. BUT I do not brush mine often so maybe that is why. I have learned not to sit down if I am wearing black and going out

·
Registered
889 Posts
We have two, a tri color (mostly black and tan) and a black and white (mostly white) and they both shed. Although Rocky (black and tan) sheds a lot more. I think some of it is due to the fact that his hair is much longer and thicker than Daisy's. We just recently borrowed my sister-in-law's Roomba and it seems to help. It is set to vacuum once a day and it helps keep up with the cleaning so.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker sheds more than the other three put together - I picture her sort of like Pig Pen in Peanuts with a cloud of dust/hair following her around everywhere she goes! I do find that brushing or combing her helps, but even so she still is much furrier than the others. Also, I find there is more shedding in the spring.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I can sure tell you my black dog sheds horribly in comparison to my purebred Beagles. All dogs will be shedding more at this time of year than in other times though also because they are shedding their winter coats. We bathe our dogs about every 6 weeks and that keeps the hair at a manageable level. During high shed times we keep blankets on the furniture that they lay on. Easier to wash a blanket than it is to get the hair off couches, etc..

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Shedding is a fact of life sometimes. I'm a pretty fussy house keeper, and we have 4 dogs and a cat. All shed, and I vacuum....A LOT! As someone else posted, I don't wear much black and, if I do, don't sit down before leaving the house.
The only time I wear black casual clothes is when we're away from home.

As a side note, one of our dogs has very short black hair, and she sheds like crazy....always has.

Besides it's being spring, which adds to shedding problems, I think that dogs that are indoor/outdoor may shed more because of A/C, etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What are you feeding Georgia? A higher quality food can often decrease the amount that they shed.

The past 2-3 weeks have been awful in our house - little guy is half the dog he used to be with all of the fur he has shed. I do wipe him down with a baby wipe when he comes in from outside. Seems to loosen the fur. Since the shedding started, I've been brushing him at night - so at least I can catch some in the bathroom before it's tracked all over the house.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We bath and brush Bodie once a week. There are times I will notice more hair then normal on my clothes, but nothing too sever. Bodie's not allowed on furniture for that very reason.

·
Registered
786 Posts
One word for me is Furminator. This is a great product to add to your arsenal of things for the dog.
You can also check with a groomer in your area who might also do this service. I know a few around me who bath and charge an extra $10 for this....

Also the whiter the fur the more they shed. My Tri hardly sheds, but my lemon in 24/7/365.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours shed, our friends are used to seeing us covered in dog hairs and they visit us in jeans, never black!It helps to groom them but at peak shedding times hoovering is all that helps. Someone advised us to put a tiny bit of vegetable oil in the food, but only if your dog has a strong stomach.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel doesn't shed much at all, I feed him about an egg a week for his coat! He prefers his with a hint of cheese, McDonald's sells em, we just request for one hold the muffin.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think the season makes a difference in shedding. In spring/start of summer time, mine shed a lot more. Getting rid of that winter coat.

But after having yellow labs for the past 14 years, I can tell you that I will NEVER complain about the amount of fur the beagles shed. LOL Labs shed that downy coat in it is everywhere!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
All three of our beagles shed but I dont think it is excessive

I do vacuum regularly and only comb them out once in a while

We have a product similar to the Furminator, it is made the same and works very well, I have included the following:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts