Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new on the post and am sooo happy I found this forum. I got a puppy beagle 1 month ago and she is about 4 months old now. The problem I have with Lucky is that she will not walk outside. When I bring her out, she'll just sit and put her head down as if she is not interested in walking at all. But if someone walks by she will run quickly at them to play.

She is trained on the wee wee pad and I am trying to teach her how to go outside.
Please let me know what to do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Isn't she a cutie...I love her sooo much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Eleanor & Chloe,

Yes, I live in Forest Hills, Queens. Thank you so much for your response. I'll try that tonight.

Do you think she is too young to go out, because she also shakes a lot when she is out there and I feel so bad that I pick her up and just go inside afterwards.

I want to raise her right and I'm afraid that if she learns to go outside too late that she just won't learn and use the wee wee pad forever.

Sorry for such a long post and any help again will be great!

Lily

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Lily, she is small and it's cold outside, so just put a jacket on her and take her out. That is, of course, if she is up to date on all of the shots.

It is good to get her used to potty outside as early as possible, and the scents and behavior of other dogs will help. Obviously, socialization is very important too. At first you will have to gently pull her along and praise her a lot to get her used to being walked on a leash. A few times of praises and treats and she will be a walking pro!

If so, come with her to Yellowstone park. We meet there almost every day at 8PM. It would be great having another beagle in the group (currently it's just Chloe and Abby - not BeagleBabe's Abby).

·
Registered
295 Posts
My beagle is over 1 year, (not sure exactly since she is a rescue), and she shakes when she is outside too. She doesn't have a lot of 'meat' on her, so she's just a cold little girl. Like Chloe's Mommy said, get her a little jacket or sweater so she can learn to 'go' outside. Don't give in to her pitiful little shivering self by picking her up and taking her inside. Then it's she who is training you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

G

·
Chase was the same way. It's cold he shakes so I brought him a few sweaters. That really helped a lot. Our pups are the same age but I had Chase since he was 7 weeks so I started with the pads then I started bringing him outside as he got older. It takes time but she'll get and yes she is definitely a cutie!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My little one did the same thing when he was first getting used to the concept of 'winter'. If it was too cold, he just wouldn't want to walk. If we were in the middle of a walk, and he started to get cold, he would just drop where he was and refuse to budge. But, a warm fleece jacket on him will keep him running outside for hours! He is a very skinny beagle, standing about an inch taller than his big sister, but 5 lbs lighter. We are trying to fatten him up but every time we give him more food he just goes and gets taller!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Cute Lucky, welcome on board.
Chloe's mom is right, make sure Lucky has taken all the proper shots first before taking him for a long walk, try not taking him to the park just yet. Making sure he won't pick up or drink any dirty things on the street. He will learn in time where to do his business.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Lily,
I'm Lorie (Rusty & Henry's mom) I live in N.Y as well and my beagles are a little older then yours and when they go outside they still shake. I had a lady who lives near me make them coats. They sit and wait for me to put them on when they know it's time for there walk. I know it must be hard living in the city having a puppy. As for walking on a leash. Shes young yet. you'll see that she will soon get the hang of it. It just takes some time. I think the treat idea is great advice. I just have to let you know that you have a stunning looking baby! That 2nd pic you posted of her is just so sweet. I so love it! Good luck with your wonderful new fur baby!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts