Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timber loves to attempt to eat anything and particuarly tin foil type things. Today she ate a big bit of tin foil that was tying in the park. I noticed that she was chewing it in her mouth and when i attempted to ge it out, she started growling and trying to bite my hand off and she got sooo defensive. Now she is a little bit like this, really over protective of some of her things, but she has loads of toys and we let her do what she wants in the garden and she never really attempts to bite that badly, well not me anyway lol, but she was really bad about this. Any tips?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Teach her to swap.
If she has something tell her to give, and swap it for something better like a special toy or a yummy treat.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
You'll have to stop her biting before it gets out of hand. Try and make her sit, offer her a treat and she'll most likely drop the item you want her to leave. As Vonny says, swap the item quickly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wouldn't do that.
Do not reward her with kind words and treats this demonstrates that aggressive behavior is acceptable. And it's not!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
BTW
next time you see her chewing anything, just yell at her. She will probably drop it ( because of the shock) then you can give her a treat.
That's what we did.It worked pretty well

·
Registered
865 Posts
When they have something in their mouth that you want them to drop, you can gently blow on their nose (up close, but you are not actually touching their nose with your mouth) and it will make them drop what's in their mouth. May take a few tries getting the exact spot, but it works!!!! I use it when playing fetch as well as when they have something they shouldn't.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yep! I'm with the others. She can't growl at you or bite you. I taught Chloe drop it and leave it. I use drop it when she already has something in her mouth, and reward her with praises and sometimes treats when she complies, and use leave it when she looks at something or approaches it, to let her know - stay away from that!
Works most times. She also never growls at me, as I made it clear from the beginning that it's not acceptable. ever. I did it by assertively raising my voice hen saying NO and used soft kind voice when she backed away and stopped. Never happened again.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Originally Posted By: RedsoxI wouldn't do that.
Do not reward her with kind words and treats this demonstrates that aggressive behavior is acceptable. And it's not!!
This method is rewarding her for dropping the item not for being aggressive.

Timing is crucial. The second she drops the item give her the treat and praise her for dropping it. This in no way demonstrates that aggressive behaviour is acceptable as the aggression has passed when the item is out of her mouth.

If you were to stuff a treat in her mouth while she was growling then yes that would be wrong.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I do exactly the same thing Eleanor does. Can't say as though drop it and leave it work 100% of the time with Duke, but the percentage improves daily!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm with Eleanor. I taught Jersey drop it and leave it. You're not rewarding the bad behavior of growling. You're rewarding the good behavior of drop it. We worked on this with Jersey's toys. When she'd fetch the toy and bring it to me, I'd tell her to drop it and offer a treat. I figured if she was willing to give me something as good as a toy, she'd give me anything. She isn't 100% on the drop it thing, but she gets the general concept. She doesn't growl or bite or show any aggression now when I try to get something out of her mouth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.