Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got Abby my first puppy , she is playful and sweet but she always whines when we leave her alone. I don't know what to do, help!

·
Super Moderator
5,052 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Are you trying to kennel train her? Right now if she whines and you run to her you are teaching her that is what will happen. Stick with it. I would highly recommend using a kennel. Puppies need time out as do the parents and you will need to leave her eventually. Much better to leave her in a safe place while you are gone. Don't be fooled by the whines. It is annoying but she will eventually stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes , we leave her in a safe environment but the whines never stop. I don't immediately go to her but there is a point where I think it might disturb our neighbors. And thank you , I'll keep trying!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can leave a TV or radio on for her and get a D.A.P. diffuser or spray which might help comfort her. Maybe leave a stuffed toy for her to snuggle.

DAP info, you can purchase it online or at most pet store

https://www.amazon.com/CEVA-Animal-Health-ADAPTIL-Diffuser/dp/B01AW71ILU/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=78134099112325&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=dap+diffuser&qid=1574297308&sr=8-3
I tried but she barely pays any attention to tv or music. I'll have a look at the diffuser , thanks!!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Exercise her, before you put her in the crate. Tire her physically and mentally. Work on obedience. A tired puppy is a good puppy.

I used to play Mind Games. One of the exercises taught patience. Leash the puppy and sit on the leash. Allow her enough slack to lie down. Completely ignore her. Read, work on the computer, etc. Eventually, she will lie down on her own. Do this for about 30 minutes every day. The exercise really helped my dogs learn to be calm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exercise her, before you put her in the crate. Tire her physically and mentally. Work on obedience. A tired puppy is a good puppy.

I used to play Mind Games. One of the exercises taught patience. Leash the puppy and sit on the leash. Allow her enough slack to lie down. Completely ignore her. Read, work on the computer, etc. Eventually, she will lie down on her own. Do this for about 30 minutes every day. The exercise really helped my dogs learn to be calm.
I will definitely be trying this, thank you !!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I forgot to say on the other thread, but she is out of control adorable! Oh my!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Whining is normal for new puppies. The little puppy needs lots of attention, care, and focus. I used to leave some toys and music at home so he could chew and distract his loneliness and anxiety. However, do not leave your pup alone over several hours as she needs to go potty within a few hours, depending on Abby's age. Puppies are unable to hold the pee or poo over 6 hours. Otherwise, she might whine and cry or get health problems. To avoiding separation anxiety and health problems, you could:
1. Find a dog sitter if you have to leave for work on the day.
2. When you're at home, accompany your pup and help her adapt to the new home quickly.
3. Extend the walking time before you leave home, so as to consume her energy and help her sleep sound.
4. Leave your clothes on her bed. She could feel relaxed when smelling your scents.
5. Crate training can help her build a regular habit-keep quiet or sleep when staying in the crate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts