Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadie and Pooh Bear have been scratching, biting and itching for over a week now. I have been giving them their Tavist alergy pills as the vet has recommended in the past. They take Tavist every day, and take 2 a day when real itchy. Sadie has her behind area all raw and bleeding in spots. She is worse thatn Pooh. She has broken out areas and sores on her tummy, and behind area. I have them both on Frontline. Sadie has had bad allergies all her life. In the past when she is like this our vet will put her on an antibiotic and calls this a skin infection. I think this is what she has. We have a bottle of Cephelexin that was Pooh Bear's but it made him throw up. Sadie has had this before and does fine. Since it is Sunday and she is so bad I thought about starting her on this Cephelexin and follow up with her vet tomorrow. What do you all think?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, if my seemingly non-ending sinus infection is any sign, we are having a very bad allergy season! Couple of thoughts -- first, I wouldn't recommend you share prescription meds between your dogs without checking with your vet. Until you get to speak with your vet, if you have any OTC cortisone cream, you could rub some of that into the infected area after cleaning and drying it well. You could also use an OTC antibiotic cream like Neomyicin. Then distract Sadie (maybe with a treat) until it is absorbed. It is also possible that, if Sadie has been taking Tavist for a while, she has built up a resistance to it. It may be necessary to switch to a different allergy med -- again, after talking with the vet. If your vet ends up prescribing Cephalexin for Sadie, at least you won't have to buy any!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Since we're right in the middle of a bad allergy season, it's most likely related. But have you also looked into the food you're feeding them? So many dog food products use corn, wheat, and beef as their main ingredients, and A LOT of dogs are allergic to these ingredients. Just some food for thought...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Maybe it's my vet, but, he is very good at knowing what to do when things are working. Cobi has had skin allergies before and we have used the same things on him. The vet did give us a medicated conditioner to use on him after his baths, and that seemed to soothe things down. I even gave it to our groomer and she uses it for him there when I don't bathe him.

But if the sores are open and bleeding, I'd call the vet and see what he/she says....

As for the sinus infections -- I am starting a club for those of us who are really at wits end....this has been the worst I've ever had with them. 5 since January. ICK!

Good luck!

Cathy J

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took Sadie to the vet today. She was still itching and scraching and biting at herself. The vet said it was seasonal allergies. And she starts itching and scratching and gets her skin infected. She got a steriod shot and I got the OK to give her the Cephelexin that I had on hand. She is already itching less.

I just happened to look in Pooh Bear's ears just now. His right ear is red as fire. He didn't even tell me his ear was bothering him. He usually shakes his head or scratches his ear. I have ear cleaner and ear drops from the vet on hand so I've started him on these.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor little Pooh Bear. He is so sweet to not bother you. I hope his ear clears fast.

Gentle rubs (and some light scratches
) to both your pups.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Vinny is having a real bad time right now also. Pinkish belly, hot ears and knawing paws.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad Sadie has had some relief -- the steroid shot is what kicks in so fast. Only downside is it causes greatly increased thirst so don't be surprised if Sadie starts slurping a lot (and then, of course, having to pee a lot!). I bet Pooh Bear just wanted you to focus on Sadie first. Gentle hugs to both!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was wondering about alergies. Lou (Jack) has been scratching and scratching but not to the point of losing fur or bleeding or anything like that. He was doing it from the day I rescued him and I was so sure he had fleas.

After every test known to man he only had ear wax! But even though I knew Beagles had alergy tendencies, I didn't think to ask about them.

What are the typical things they are alergic to other than the seasonal type mentioned in this thread. Do they often have reactions to a food they're given? Someone mentioned Frontline and I have put him on Sentinel, but that was after he was here a few days and he was already itching...

Suggestions on where I can read up on this? He's going to be neutered this Tuesday (and chipped) is there any kind of alergy test done while under anesthesia? Could it just be dry skin?

Any info you can share would be great.

B

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, it is varies, and is not limited to seasonal allergies. I know one that is allergic to chicken. Usually allergies will turn up in time, I'm not sure about tests that can be done on dogs to check them - but a vet would be the one to ask.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Beaglemom, a lot of dogs have food allergies. Corn is a big one and both my labs were allergic when they were younger (seemed to grow out of it with age). I had to make sure they had food with no corn at all in it, which wasn't as easy to find 12 years ago! The vet said that it's a very common allergy and many dogs have a reaction to corn, which blows my mind because it's probably the most common ingredient in dog food.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well go figure! The first ingredient on his outgoing food is corn!!! He's a rescue and he had been through so much in just the two weeks I've had him, including his ta ta's cut off yesterday, that I thought I'd change his food from Beneful to Innova after he recuped from surgery. Turns out I started it yesterday because the vet said it wouldn't bother his system any more because of the surgery. So, I've been adding a portion of Innova to his food since yesterday morning. I will have him transitioned in a week as he seems to have taken to it well - no loose stools, etc. Won't that be interesting to see if the scratching stops.

Thanks!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I switched to Innova when my last dog, Amber, was having some skin allergies. She was so itchy, that she would rub her back under the bed frame to scratch. She ruined two bed skirts and ended up with a bald butt. Switching to Innova cleared all that up. I've been a big fan of it ever since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts