Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have asked before if you guys think a beagle would make a good psychiatric service dog for me. However, I think I got some responses that misunderstood? My beagle would not be a therapy dog, but my psychiatric service dog. This dog would need to be able to listen 100% of the time, and be trained in specific tasks to help me get through my day. I would need to take this dog to some public places such as lectures in university.

With this information, would a beagle fit my needs for a psychiatric service dog? I know that every dog is different, however I need a dog that will more than likely fit these needs. I considered beagles because of how much I love the breed, and what loving and affectionate dogs they are.

Thanks so much for the help, and I hope to hear something soon!

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I am by no means an expert on service dogs. When I think service dog, however, I think German Shepherd Dog, Labrador, Golden Retriever or a mix of those breeds. Like you said, "Every dog is different." I'm not saying you couldn't find a beagle that could meet your needs as a service dog. A beagle is not necessarily the first breed that comes to mind.

Breeds are bred for a specific purpose and they do what they do well. Beagles are excellent trackers and good hunting dogs. Their noses make them excellent for use in airports. They are smart and can be trained to do anything. They have excellent problem solving skills. I find them often to be independent thinkers, which may not be an asset in a service dog.

I once attended a clinic held by a group who trains service dogs for people with physical limitations, such as being wheelchair bound. They use a mix of specially bred Goldens and Labs. The dogs are supposed to virtually disappear into the background. They do not use German Shepherds. Why? German Shepherds make decisions. Who uses German Shepherds? The blind. Why? Because German Shepherds make decisions. LOL! The German Shepherd needs to determine when it is safe to cross the street, how best to avoid obstacles, etc. Even within breeds, every dog cannot make the cut to be a service dog.

Do you have someone with know-how who will help you to train the service dog? You need someone who is capable of recognizing qualities in a dog that will prove it has the potential to be a service dog. I have had friends who fostered potential service dogs, as puppies. (Both labs.) One flunked. The other is still in training. I guess my question to you would be - If you get a dog, beagle or whatever breed, and he doesn't have the potential to be a service dog, will you still love him and keep him, appreciating him for being a wonderful pet?

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
I agree with the above. Beagles are highly trainable but I am not sure about being a service dog for the purposes you need. They work at airports and are therapy dogs for visiting nursing homes etc. They are lead by their noses for sure. Also think you would need to have the dog of your choice trained for that task. My greyhound was a therapy dog and he had to go thru the Canine Good Citizen training and then was registered as a therapy dog, not a service dog.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Some beagles have made excellent therapy dogs, others have not been able to qualify (like so many other dogs). Here is a link to Therapy Dogs International - dogs that are TDI qualifies are amazing: Therapy Dogs International

Successful Beagle Therapy Dogs: https://www.facebook.com/mytherapybeagles

5 Best Therapy Dog Breeds | Therapy Dog Certification - Beagles are number 4 on this list

It all comes down to training - how much time and energy the handler is willing to invest.
I think all of us agree that beagles would make great therapy dogs, but this is what the OP stated above. "My beagle would not be a therapy dog, but my psychiatric service dog. This dog would need to be able to listen 100% of the time, and be trained in specific tasks to help me get through my day."

Not knowing what specific tasks the dog would need to perform, I can't honestly answer if a beagle would be best suited.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the links and information, everyone!

I am considering some other breeds, and might wait until after university until I get myself a beagle; or at least until I am finished with my undergrad degree. In the meantime, I will look into some other breeds, but won't completely cross beagle off my list. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the links! I will look into these, and I think getting a dog that is already trained would work out a lot better. It would make time management with university and my job much easier. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did plan on having a service dog trainer assist me with training, however I might consider looking for an already trained dog. Regardless, I will be looking into programs and getting as much information as possible.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
In one of the links I sent you I read that service dogs must be 100% reliable off-leash. Beagles don't fit that description. Beagles follow their nose and off they go. I've met several beagle owners at the park and each said they would never trust their dog off leash. Something to keep in mind. Anyway, hope the links are a good resource for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear RuruBeagle24,
I got a 9-week-old Beagle puppy for my anxiety and depression. I am thinking about making him my Psychiatric Service Dog. I must convince my parents first, but I am very confident that he would make a great service dog. As you said, it of course depends on the dog. My Beagle, Luke has helped me SO much. Beagles might not be ideal for a service dog, but it works. They are usually trained for jobs such as Security Dogs, Diabetic-Alert Dogs, and of course Psychiatric Service Dogs. I think that a Beagle would be a great service dog. Good luck on your new adventure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts