Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between June 20th and July something we will be changing the IP Addresses on all of our servers. You MAY experience a service outage for any ware from 12 hours to 72 hours till the changes take effect.

Since I do not have access to the domain name information for this site it may be a bit longer as Joe and I probably will not be making the changes at the exact same time on the same exact date.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
72 HOURS!!! :biglaugh:

Seriously though, I know that this is a lot of work for you and Joe. Thanks for all you do to make sure we have a place to talk about our beloved Beagles. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The company where the server is housed was sold and everything needs to be removed from the facility to some place else.

We will have an exact date when the server will be removed from the building and transferred to a new location 4 hours away from where it is now. I will have to setup new IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS servers as well as the web server and yah de yah dah....

I was just notified today about the sale and stuff and do not have all the information at this time. I will be in contact with people in a few days or less for the new facility and all that happy stuff. At this time I will get all the information for pretty much everything.

I have added 2 DNS servers in my home as well to at least try to have some kind of "Were in the process of moving..." message on every site type deal as so people will not see a blank page or get some type of error deal. Or I am hoping anyways.

I will make updates here.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE

It will be to much work for me to relocate the board on to another server with the real time nature of the site and real time nature between two servers. For this reason during the move you will see a message board closed message displayed on a backup server in my direct location.

ALL real time services located on this server will be suspended but the rest of those services aka sites on the system should operate properly with only limited outage time. Those of you using email in the systems with email forwarding will not have any interruptions however those whom retrieve email on the server will have to contact me for the alternate email information for mail traffic on and after the transfer for your retrieval of the mail during the transfer.

The other real time servers aka Virtual Reality, and Live Streaming Audio services, and mIRC Real Time servers through my network will not be interrupted during the transfer as those servers are in my home location.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This move is scheduled to take place beginning July 27, 2007 at 8 PM EDT. Servers will be moved incrementally from Miami to Tampa between 8 PM on July 27th and 4 AM on July 28th.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thanks for the lead time! As Jen said, the down-time could definitely lead to withdrawal. Now we have almost a month to get ourselves prepared ...

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking about moving BW in it's entirety to the server in my home before the move and having it serve from my location and leave only minimum sites on this server for the move.

I am in the process of setting the entire site up now on the server and if I decide to change over it wouldn’t take very long to do causing minimum down time, perhaps a 12 hour time delay or less.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just finished uploading and setting the permissions for all content here at BW.

The great thing is I can have a backup forum here with the real BW database and registry on a special Forum in its own. No existing Forums and no loss in action. You would just see all the other stuff disappear while the server is being moved and come back when it comes back online.

The only draw back is we wouldn't be able to take newly registered users under a temporary setting, however I was thinking of moving the site completely off the existing server and running it on the temporary server on a permanent basis without any interruptions except for the momentary final file transfer. That would take about an hour.

The past went like this:

In the past I was just running the service as a hobby and curtsy to the remaining customers on the system. I entertained the thought of selling the company and stuff to anyone who wanted it for less then a song and a dance. Pretty much I was asking $1,000 for everything. The persons I had discussed this with were not interested and also my wife got really mad at me and wouldn’t let me sell anything. I was not very interested in the company and just let it go. I am between 6 months and a year behind on my billing and at least one of my customers complained.

I kicked four major sites off the service owned by a Pennsylvania corporation just so I didn’t have to bill them anymore. I paid all the operation expenses out of my pocket without any income from the business. This has made my wife even angrier to a point.

JAISP was started as I had been in a partner relation with others in a company I started called Millennium Crew. I had designed several software packages, on of which Joe had developed for one of his clients, that I have never gain not even one penny for. The company got all proceeds from everything I developed with little return on their part. This caused hardships between the partners.

Millennium Crew was formed from a club called Tek2000 started by me in 1998 over the Internet. Five of its members including myself had decided to start our own company designing software for special needs applications and purchased equipment needed for development and testing of all the software.

During this time in 1999 our web host started doing stuff to make our sites NOT Work on the hosting system we were on. Since we all ready had our own web servers, DNS Servers, Email Servers, FTP Servers, and all other related aspects in operation for hosting and stuff we decided to migrate onto our development network and utilize our own services and no longer be held hostage by another company. In three days we were a fully legit web hosting company.

As time went on someone in the company decided that we could host other sites to make up for some of the costs of operating the network and equipment. So we started taking on customers. Still being the founder and major contributor to the business I never received one cent and still couldn’t get ahead. I at this time stopped developing software.

I registered JAISP and sold my shares silently to the other company who had someone else running it and calling the shots for the company, I was the spokesperson for the newly formed company. In the end the new company took over all operations of Millennium Crew, its software, and remaining customers and accounts. Thirty days later the person running JAISP turned over all operations and aspects of the company to me.

The current Day:

I have installed a very good commercial connection into my home and added a few static IP addresses. I built a new server setup and reconfigured my existing network in my home for full commercial usage. I have moved everything out of the small area into a room six times the size, added a complete UPS system, put in a real office complete with desk and chairs, and hired someone to sell space on my system on a commission basis.

Here is my plan:

Once again I am being held hostage in a slight manor by having equipment located in someone else’s location. This is the second time the company was sold and everything had to be moved and large changes had to be made.

My wife and I have decided that we were no longer going to be held hostage by anyone for any reason. If equipment breaks I have to pay someone to fix it several states away at $75 per hour plus parts and related expenses. This is not what I wish to have. If I call them on the phone they charge my credit card $15 to answer the phone. If I have a problem I have to put in a service ticket just to wait and have it fixed, at $75 per hour.

I have everything here in my home to re-locate my entire infrastructure here and run from my location sparing me all expenses other then normal operating cost’s, remember I am at least a year behind on my billing and floating this out of my pocket.

We intend to ad three more servers here and migrate everything here over the next nine months. We also intent to ad 16 more IP addresses to the net block and go full force into hosting web sites and real time content such as message boards, Virtual Reality Services, Streaming Audio, mIRC chat relays, and much more.

I will be saving $450 per month in the long run.

I quit my job working for a company close to home and had taken a new position doing what I do best, Communications and Access Control Systems. I fully now intend to build up JAISP and make it the vision I had in the beginning by providing web space for customers and designing firewall software for interactive content over the internet. JAISP will be moving forward and hopefully making money for the first time in its history in about two years. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Thank you

We all appreciate all you do behind the scenes to keep BW a friendly and efficiently run happy board.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, The new server was ordered today and should be here tomorrow, Tuesday the 3rd.

All I need is two more servers. This will allow me to spread out the sites with real time stuff and have a backup server incase of a problem requiring me to do major work on any of the servers. :thumbup:

·
Registered
889 Posts
JAISP Tech Thanks for all your hard work behind the scene's. I for one appreciate all your efforts to keep this board running. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the new server today and upgraded the memory and placed in a larger Hard Drive. I loaded the operating system and gave it all the updates and security updates.

As I mentioned before the place where this server is located was sold to a new company. Seems they lost a few dedicated hosting customers due to the changes and are selling off the leased servers that are no longer being used. The server I purchased was one of those servers. The server ID code was still on the hard drive and the customer ID still taped to the server. I did mention this to the tech dude while I had him on the phone this evening. Such a small world, LOL.

Anyway I upgraded this server up to the newer operating system and configuration as the other one in my home. They like be on steroids.

This week we will be moving on to the new server as soon as I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, we are moved onto the new server and this is my test post to see if it is working properly for postings.

Let me know if you have any problems at all.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone interested here is a photo of the start of the build up of my web stuff in my house.

The long blue box right above the laptops is the server Beagle World is on.

The stuff on the top shelf is firewall, switching, and gateway equipment for the internet side.

The long blue boxes on the second shelf down is servers. These contain the DNS, Web, FTP, Email, SOA, Shell, and Telnet Server stuff.

The two laptops under that shelf are for loading the operating system (laptop on the right) and setting up the servers. The laptop on the right is for accessing the shell and doing control panel changes.

The servers have no keyboard, mouse, or monitor for accessing the systems, in fact they have no GUI (Graphical User Interface) at all. Everything related is preformed by remote using another computer to access the servers and make changes. This allows for faster more efficient operations, less crashes, less times to reboot, and faster internet speeds.

The bottom shelf is UPS systems incase of a power problem of spike to help keep the servers online and running normaly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts