Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 4 month old beagle but i need alot of help with him. Constant biting occurs from him and it hurts. You can not pet him without him trying to bit you. If I put a toy in his mouth he will bit it for 2 sec then go for my hands or any body part that he can get too. I yell NO!! and it doesnt work, please help me. Another problem is he keeps attacking my cat and dragging him across the floor or going for his neck. I can not leave them alone. I yell at him break them up but nothing works. He also has just learned to get into my fridge. He opens it up and eats all my food. I need to stop this behavior as well. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS. IVE BEEN WORKING WITH HIM SINCE I GOT HIM AT 6 WEEKS OLD BUT HE DOES NOT RESPOND.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW :biglaugh: (sorry, but I had to laugh...) you can try the spray bottle (I know, it sounds like the answer to everything) or make him sit still, or lay down, when the cat is near him and don't let him bite or touch the cat. That way he will learn (hopefully) the cat is off limits as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Eek. Well our little monster is reaching this point too. Which is why its so important to teach them the basic "sit, stay, lay" you know?

Not much I can say about the biting because well that's normal and our little 2 month old is biting us a lot too....

When he does wrong place him in the kennel (puppy time out i like to call it) or when he bites end playtime. The spray bottle should help a lot also. Good luck ooooh and welcome to BW :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Try tapping his nose--very lightly--as you say "No" in a stern, but not yelling, voice when he starts biting. Then cross your arms in front of you (so he can't nip at your hands) and turn your back on him for just a moment. Then give him a toy to chew on. Offer him a suitable chew toy as soon as you say No Biting, so he'll learn what is okay to chew on--a toy--and what isn't okay to chew on--you! At 4 months he's still getting his baby teeth. Once he stops teething his chewing should get better.
How does he open the fridge? I agree with the spray bottle idea, again accompanied by a No in a stern voice. Also, try not to give him food directly from the fridge--maybe he thinks everything in the "big white box" is his!!
I'm sorry I can't think of anything about the cat. Does your cat try to get away from him? If not, maybe it's some sort of game for the cat too! When my Shiloh was a puppy she used to latch on to the fur on my standard poodle's legs, and Coco would just continue to walk abound dragging Shiloh with him. I guess it didn't hurt Coco, and he and Shiloh were always the best of friends.
I never took Shi to obedience classes, but wish I had. You might want to ask your vet if he thinks your babe is too young to start obedience training.
Oh, and one last thing:try to take him outside for walks as often as you can. Give him lots of fresh air and exercise, like a baby. (Which he is!) A tired beagle is a good beagle! :biglaugh:
What's your babe's name? Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by delre:
I love my 4 month old beagle but i need alot of help with him. Constant biting occurs from him and it hurts. You can not pet him without him trying to bit you. If I put a toy in his mouth he will bit it for 2 sec then go for my hands or any body part that he can get too. I yell NO!! and it doesnt work, please help me. Another problem is he keeps attacking my cat and dragging him across the floor or going for his neck. I can not leave them alone. I yell at him break them up but nothing works. He also has just learned to get into my fridge. He opens it up and eats all my food. I need to stop this behavior as well. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS. IVE BEEN WORKING WITH HIM SINCE I GOT HIM AT 6 WEEKS OLD BUT HE DOES NOT RESPOND.
Hi there!

Am going through the same thing with my 4 month old!! with the biting that is!

The spraybottle doesn´t work for me, but it might with your pup! Ive just accepted that it is his teething and he just needs a firm but fair approach.

Saying no and turning away from him when he bites too hard is what I do now, seems to be working!!

Good luck!!

x
K

G

·
0 Posts
Hi,
I realy don't have advice about the bitting thing, But I know all to well about the cat thing.

I too was freaked and came and ask advice here for them, It took awhile and on their own terms,

Charlie and My cat became friends in the making and are doing wonderfull each day, new love forms between the two of them.

I think the more we freak the more they freak let them deal with it alone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Poor you, honestly they *do* calm down! Like Genie, what worked for me with the biting was just crossing my arms and turning my back on her – she wants to be the centre of attention so excluding her was the best 'punishment' – if I pushed her away she just got more and more wound up.

I’d also second “a tired beagle is a good beagle”! When Beaglina was little I often felt that the only way she had to play was using her mouth, so we also played lots of throwing/fetching games, and if you can take your pup to play with others it will probably make a big difference

I can’t help with the cat though, in my house the cat is The Boss /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts