Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two beagles which I crate when I leave. Both of them have some level of anxiety. The newest addition made in December 2020 has the more severe. She barks and drools. The drool is so much that I used to think she peed in her crate. I have a blanket inside and it is literally soaking wet when I return after a couple hours. I ignore her when I get home, and she is fine. As soon as I let her out of the crate she acts normal. She is around 6 to eight years old. The previous owner insists she was born in 2014, but she looks older and the vet agreed. I asked him what he did when he left and he said he just put her outside, where I assume she barked the whole time. One of the reasons she was rehomed was because a neighbor threatened to call police if she kept barking. Her bark is a hoarse beagle bark, and I think it is endearing. But who and I to find fault with her. lol I do not like the fact that she pants and barks even if I am in another room. I can't leave her loose in the house when I am gone because she gets into everything. She tears up paper and anything else lying around, She acts like a puppy in this sense. My problem is dealing with her anxiety. I recently read an article where a man said he dealt with sep aniety by recording his voice and leaving it running in a loop while he was gone in the garage, so it would appear he was still home.. I mention this to help anyone else, as it does not work for me. I have tried calming chews and music, but nothing works. I am afraid she is losing so much fluid that it may affect her health.
20210322_081905.jpg

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Have you considered an anti-anxiety medication? All our dogs have some degree of separation anxiety, Xerxes is probably the worst - and he chews cables - but we gate him in our bedroom with Neb and that's fine for him, we didn't need to do anything more. Not for separation anxiety, but we had a German Shepherd we put on anxiety medication and it helped him.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
She sure is cute. Nebs idea about medication might help. If the 2 dogs get along how about trying crating them together for comfort. There are also collars infused with scented calming material that might help.
Consider also that she hasn't been with you too long which adds to the anxiety.
Let us know if anything suggested works.

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
Most rescue beagles I know have some level of separation anxiety. It does take a beagle good 6 months to a year to really settle into a new home and routines. Molly had it very bad when we rescued her in 2008. We really stick to a routine and make our comings and going very calm. I have never been successful with crating, we use baby gates so they have access to 3 rooms. Molly takes prescription anxiety meds that really help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She sure is cute. Nebs idea about medication might help. If the 2 dogs get along how about trying crating them together for comfort. There are also collars infused with scented calming material that might help.
Consider also that she hasn't been with you too long which adds to the anxiety.
Let us know if anything suggested works.
Sam is only 2 years old, so she does not like him as he is too much for her. He is a pushy pup that just wants to play and she wants no part of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered an anti-anxiety medication? All our dogs have some degree of separation anxiety, Xerxes is probably the worst - and he chews cables - but we gate him in our bedroom with Neb and that's fine for him, we didn't need to do anything more. Not for separation anxiety, but we had a German Shepherd we put on anxiety medication and it helped him.
I am retired so never know when I might decide to go shopping. If I gave her anxiety meds, she would need to have them in advance for it to work, right. I hate the Covid-19 restrictions as my vet only allows the pet into the facility so I can't really interact explaining her problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most rescue beagles I know have some level of separation anxiety. It does take a beagle good 6 months to a year to really settle into a new home and routines. Molly had it very bad when we rescued her in 2008. We really stick to a routine and make our comings and going very calm. I have never been successful with crating, we use baby gates so they have access to 3 rooms. Molly takes prescription anxiety meds that really help.
Thanks for the idea. She would not behave enough to be restricted with gates. She gets into everything, and I am sure she would destroy a room of furniture trying to get out. I have had dogs all my adult life and have never experienced separation anxiety from any other breeds, except for a crazy poodle that would bark and tear things up a long time ago. So I am just not used to the reaction to my leaving. I have dealt with dogs that feared storms and I thought that was bad. But separation anxiety is so much more often.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I am retired so never know when I might decide to go shopping. If I gave her anxiety meds, she would need to have them in advance for it to work, right. I hate the Covid-19 restrictions as my vet only allows the pet into the facility so I can't really interact explaining her problem.
Luc (our GSD) took something every day that was supposed to be at steady state in his blood and always work...I THINK it was clomipramine, which is an antidepressant that helps with anxiety. He took it as he aged and became fearful of things. I agree, the vet floated ativan or another benzo for thunderstorms - and we didn't always have warning so that was unhelpful.

Reactions: windy

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
I think creating a penned area where they can be restricted to a small area so they can move around sounds like the best option as suggested by Molly. The petstore and amazon sell pet barriers that you can adjust as needed for your home.

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
I used extra tall walk-thru gates. They swing open to pass through but lock tight if you want to keep the dog in a room. My dogs actually did more damage when crated than when they are gated. You can also get DAP spray or diffusers, those help with anxiety. Here is an example ThunderEase Calming Spray for Dogs, 60 ml. | Petco

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We use those gates too @Mollys Mom - or at least, the one with cat doors in them as well. They look well enough, and do a great job.

Reactions: Mollys Mom

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

We have them in our bedroom (Neb and Xerxes stay there), the second bedroom (Agis goes there when we're not home; he's too full of puppy enthusiasm to leave with the other two), and the kitchen (also home to the cat litterbox, which Xerxes enjoys robbing).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts