Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks! I have noticed a problem with Maggie's night vision that just seemed to start this past week -- when we go outside, we go through the laundry room to the garage. Typically, I do not turn on the light in the laundry room so,when we come back inside the house, we walk into the dark laundry room. Maggie knows she will get a treat if she has pooped & peed and will sit in the laundry room until I get her treat out of her dog box. She has always been able to zero right onto the treat. The latter has changed this week -- we come in from outside, Maggie stays in the laundry room but, when I take the treat out, she doesn't move towards it. I can see that she is moving her head trying to find it. When I turn the light on, she then sees the treat in my hand and takes it.
She does have minimal cataracts but her last full exam didn't indicate that they had gotten any worse. I do not see any signs of vision problems when light is present. I am trying to figure out if this is a typical progression of a senior dog or if something else is going on.
Anyone seen anything like this?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't offer any advice, unfortunately, but the strange thing for me, is that her nose doesn't lead her to the treat.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eleanor -- I also thought that her nose would lead her to the treat but I wasn't as concerned about that as her sniffer seems to be working -- we just came in from outside and she spent 10 minutes outside checking out the path of a neighbor's dog. I wouldn't be concerned at all if this had happened just once but it is reoccuring. There is a retinal disease (SARDS) that is believed to be related in some way to Cushings but Maggie doesn't exhibit any of the typical signs of that.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you maybe try leaving a minimal small light in a far corner from the path back inside? Just to see if is a full light/darkness problem...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor Maggie we all get dimished sight as we get older - now the Bagel says just leave the light on till Maggie gets her treat!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted By: Joe Beagles but her appetite is still there. Thats good.
Well, kind of ... her appetite is limited to Lean Treats. She has no interest in any kind of food in any consistent pattern, either commercial or home cooked. About every three days she will try some ground beef heated up with beef broth. So far today, nothing. When she was weighed last week, she was down to 20 lbs. and looking very bony.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Poor maggie, she is an elderly lady now and if she cant see properly in the dark it probably makes her uneasy. Hope she eats soon today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts