Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone's Beagle suffers from seizures. A few months after we adopted Buddy, he started to have seizures. I freaked out the first time, I drove him 25 minutes at 2am to an emergency animal clinic. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

The next day I took him to our regular vet and he did a complete blood work up but he did not find anything. 2 weeks later he had another mild seizure. I did not want to do this, but my vet reccommended putting him on Phenobarbitol.

When I started to research seizures in dogs, I found that Beagles are prone to seizures!

He has been on his meds since June, but we are slowly decreasing the dosage with our vet's approval. We think his seizures may have been a result of stress from his past life. I hate this medication, he is sleepy and so hungry! He cannot eat enough and now he is getting fat! :rolleyes: We are now down to one pill of 15 mg per day. He started on 2 pills at 30 mg each. So far he has been seizure free. We also changed his food, he now gets a mixture of Canidae and Solid Gold. Solid Gold has an ingredient called Taurine that is supposed to support heart health and it is also being tested as an aid in seizures.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track to me. There have been a lot of threads on seizures here. You might want to do a "search" because there are some excellent websites that have been mentioned. I know what you mean by the Rx problems, and if you can get him off them all the better. Your food research also sounds first rate. Let us know how everything progresses. My Austin has seizures, but is not on meds. Even thunderstorms can get him off on a seizure.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Seizures can be scary, but its the duration and frequency that you need to be concerned with. One short mild seizure (duration) every 3-4 months (frequency) can be tolerated with out meds. Once they start having them close together, in clusters, or they last longer than 10 minutes, then you have serious chance of brain damage or worse. Meds are required at this point.

Our Murphy has seizures, but they are far enough apart and short in duration, so he doesn't require phenobarbitol. At one point he was on it, but his frequency spread out again and we were able to get him off it.

Here are a few notes that I posted many years ago:

Quote:
When your dog has a seizure, you need to do a few things:

1. Remain calm
2. Note the time and duration of the seizure, from onset to stopage of shaking to fully recovered.
3. Keep your dog from hurting itself.
4. Let your dog know you are there.
5. Do not put anything in its mouth!
6. Give all the info to your vet.

If your dog's seizure lasts longer than 10 minutes or doesn't start coming around after the episode stops, get to a vet fast.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our Spook, who we believe is an Australian Shepherd/Lab mix has seizures or, maybe I should say, had seizures. His weren't that close together until last Thanksgiving when he had cluster seizures. He's been taking phenobarbitol since, and is doing great. He hasn't experienced any of the negative side effects that you listed for Buddy, thank goodness. Twice a year, he gets bloodwork to monitor all his levels. Our vet insists on that, and that's a good thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts