Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a dog with seizure but I'm wondering what dog food do you feed?
I have a chihuahua about 10 now. She has been having seizures since about 5 years of age. I changed her diet to homemade chicken and rice. I boiled frozen chicken and added rice. She ate that for several years before the first seizure. The seizures are only about 1 minute. When I started baking the chicken instead of boiling it her seizures went from once every 6 months to every 2 months. I thought it was salt. I stopped the chicken and she made it 1 year without a seizure. This year she was diagnosed with a heart murmur and she got her teeth cleaned. She wasn’t eating well at all so I took chicken treats and cut them up very tiny and she went back to eating well. After 3 months of 2 chicken treats before every meal twice a day to get her motivated to eat can dog food she just had her first seizure again. Only 1 minute again. I checked the salt and it is lower than frozen chicken and FDA approved. This has made me wonder if she is just getting too much protein. She is off the treats now and eating well again so I hope we can stop her seizures again. I honestly thought I was the only person that this was happening to their dog. Hope this works. Good luck to you all. I thought this may help. I do believe it’s a sensitivity to salt or protein. I hope this didn’t cause her heart murmur. I feel it could have. 😢

· Registered
2 Posts
My 10 year old Chihuahua started having seizures at about 5. They last one minute approximately. I fed her boiled frozen chicken and rice for a year before the first seizure. I started baking the chicken and her seizures went from every 6 months to every 2 months. I took her off frozen or baked chicken by age nine and she stopped with the seizures. Recently, at 10 she was diagnosed with a heart murmur and got her teeth cleaned and extracted. This made her lose her appetite so I supplemented with dried chicken treats twice a day and I cut them up extremely small. Within 3 months seizures came back and now we are off the chicken treats. I assume it is the salt or protein she is sensitive too. It seems to be a build up in her system to me. I thought we might be the only dog family with this problem but I see more dogs have this issue. I hope my article helps you help your pet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts