Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Kota had a seizure last night. I had set my laptop on the floor next to my chair to throw another load in the wash and DH could hear sounds like one of the dogs playing with it. He looked around the chair and Kota was laying on it shaking like he was freezing.
DH picked Kota up and held him in the chair until he stopped shaking, but then Kota started making noises like he was going to throw up so he carried him into the bathroom to avoid carpet mess. Kota then stiffened up and stretched his legs out for a couple minutes. Hubby yelled for me as this really scared him. By the time I got in there Kota seemed to be more aware of his surroundings.
I picked him up and set him on my bed and just laid down with him and petted him. He was breathing really hard for about 15 minutes, though was normal otherwise. Today he is fine.
This was his 2nd seizure, the first was more than a year ago, the vet then said it may or may not happen again.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Kota's seizure. I hope you documented everything, times and symptoms. You should report that to the vet, and consult with him.
I'm happy that Kota is fine today. Some of the members here have some experience with seizures, and will probably be able to advise..

Good luck, belly rubs to Kota.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Seizures are scary, but dogs can have them and lead normal lives. Eleanor gave good advice about keeping detailed records. My vet said the ones I kept for our Spook were very helpful.

Spook had infrequent seizures for a year or so, and we didn't medicate him. Last Thanksgiving, he had cluster seizures which really scared us. At that point, we started him on phenobarbitol, and he's done very well so far with no more seizures.

Our vet insists on bloodwork every 6 months to monitor phenobaritol levels, liver function, etc., to be sure nothing is amiss.

Don't panic if Kota has another seizure. It sounds like you did pretty good with reassuring him and keeping him as calm as possible. A teaspoon of a natural vanilla ice cream is good to give right after a seizure as it helps to bring up the blood sugar level.

Hopefully, Kota won't need meds, but if he does, they're inexpensive, and easy to give. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will be calling the vet on Mon to report everything he did.
Typically when I come into the room and Kota is in my chair, he will jump down, wait for me to sit, then jump back up and sit next to me. Tonight when I came in, he just looked at me as if saying, "Sorry lady, the chair is mine, and I'm not moving."
So...I am sitting on the floor in front of the chair and he has his head on my shoulder as I type.
Spoiled baby..lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts