Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon, hoping this is the right place to get some advice and support.
We adopted a beagle 3 years ago now, bright little dog, sometimes an absolute pest (luckily for him he’s a good looking cute lad who looks too innocent to be in trouble, but largely he’s just a loveable rogue.
So, just after new year this year, he developed a herniated disc, no real warning, no single incident we could pin it to. Took him to the Vets, who feared it was IVDD, but started with a course of bed/crate rest, three days later he had slowly degenerated despite the rest, so Vet organised a trip to a specialist, which resulted in MRI & surgery. We were insured, but only for 1/3rd of the cost, but happy to pay the rest.
Coming up to date now, he seems to have gone off his feet again, not so much of an obvious hunched back yet, but reluctant to get up even for food, and when going out to the toilet is noticeably very wobbly on his back legs. If he stands still for more than a minute, his back end slowly drops down until in a sitting position. Eats if food is bought to him, but shows little interest I’m getting up for food, which is wildly out of character for any beagle as I’m sure we’re all aware.
Seems uncomfortable rather than in pain, which we are trying to manage. On holiday currently, but going home early to get him to the Vets.
My question is this, has anyone else had any experience of their beagle undergoing back surgery only to require a relapse after only 6-7 months. Again, we’re lucky to have the finances in place to pay for surgery a second time, but maybe not a third, and my bigger concern is are we going to face the same situation again in another 6-7 months. I want to give him the best chance possible but equally I don’t want to keep putting him through further trauma if it is going it keep recurring. I know it’s impossible to say, but any experiences anyone can share will help massively. I want to make my dog as happy and comfortable as possible, if surgery is the answer then we’ll do that, but I’m worried about putting him through more pain and uncomfortable rehab only to find it hasn’t fixed the issue and he has to undergo more again in the near future. It’s a heartbreaking decision we are facing, because I don’t want him to suffer, and I don’t want him to live a life constantly teetering on the edge of a relapse, but equally I don’t like the thought of the alternative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
I am so sorry your dog is experiencing such discomfort. Im sure its hard for you to watch your dog in pain. Fortunately my dog has not had such an issue. However ask the vet if a tight support wrap such as a thunder shirt would help. Also if cortisone would help inflammation. I wish your dog a good recovery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,253 Posts
That's upsetting. I do not have any experience with the condition, and this may be contraindicated, but could he be seen by an animal chiropractor? After sharing x-rays etc. He is a lucky boy to have you.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top