Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, this is long - but I just had to get it out there.

I know i mention that Arty is a rescue dog but I just wanted to really reiterate how awesome he is. This is his story:
Arty was originally named Varney (ew, i know). For some reason, at age three his owner decided to sell/give him away on craigslist. His new owner had him for only a month and again for some reason decided to just drop him off in front of the animal shelter. Didnt even go in to surrender him. No, they tied him to a pole in the middle of the night in front of the shelter. His microchip pointed him to the original owner, who refused to take him back when the shelter called.

At the shelter Arty must have been so scared, because when they did the friendliness test they said he failed with the rawhide and they were going to put him down. Luckily the beagle rescue got wind of him and decided to see how he did being fostered first.

I'll never forget the first moment I saw him - he ran out of the caged door with the most shellshocked look in his eyes. When I reached down to pet him, big huge handfuls of hair would come off (i have never seen him shed this much since).

Now, he is sitting right next to me with a rawhide in his mouth as I type this being completely adorable, but completely friendly. I can pet his head, rub his mouth, or even take the rawhide from him if I want, and he's fine with it. Once in a while he'll let out a little growl, but then I tell him i'm the alpha dog and he remembers, drops the treat and wags. He also has never bitten me, no matter how hard i tug his tail or pull at his paws or ears. He doesnt chew things up, he's completely potty trained, and is my best friend. He sleeps when i'm busy, plays when im free. What better dog is there? He does have his gorgeous beagle howl, but only shows it off at the dog park. He looks very goofy and everyone loves him at first sight, especially cuz he's always wagging his tail. He has also proven himself as a worthy adversary to me and my family a few times by scaring away possible hooligans.

When I think back and realize that if I hadnt taken him in, they might have put him down. There werent any foster parents available at the time (which is why they called me). It makes me want to cry because he is such an excellent dog, the most perfect I have ever seen, with a beautiful face and gorgeous eyes. How could anyone have given him up? I really think that him and I were meant to be, and I thank whoever is up there for giving him to me. I'm glad that I was able to give him his second chance!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm so happy you took him in
. I'm sure he is such a reward to you and you are to him. I will never understand why someone will bother taking a dog to a shelter, and leave it tied to a pole outside. Why not come in and explain, give the history of the dog - that would at least be the responsible thing to do under the circumstances. Saying that - I REALLY DON'T understand why someone would take a dog and give it up

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree! I guess they didnt want to pay the 30 dollar surrender fee but still. It makes me so mad!! But what I dont even understand more is WHY they would give him up. He's the perfect beagle - doesnt chew, doesnt bark, potty trained, sleeps all the time, and yet still has that adorable beagle face and merry hound disposition. Sometimes I worry that his previous owner will decide he wants him back and try to take him from me!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't think he can do that! Not after he refused to take him when the shelter contacted him and then you adopted him, fare and square!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure? Oh my gosh Im so worried about that. I am moving down to southern california soon and want to change all his licensing information (and finally change his chip info - havent been able to get around to doing that) but im so afraid that i'll get there and they'll be like oh sorry, mr. X changed his mind and wants varney back

NO! anyone who names their dog Varney and then gives him up DOES NOT get him back!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm almost 100% sure. I will ask a friend vet tomorrow to make sure. You have the shelters documentation to back you up, I think that plus Arty's vet documentation, the rescue papers - that should be sufficient to change his registration info.
I really don't think you should be worried about that.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thank goodness you adopted him, he now has the perfect home. Dont worry about the first owners. What you could do is get a signed letter from the shelter where you got him to say the original owner didnt want him back. You cant change the microchip, but you can have the details attached to it changed to your name etc.
Thank you for taking him in, it is terrible to think he might have been put down.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What a wonderful thing to take him. If anything happens to my pack, I will rescue from now on. My next door neighbor is a foster mom for a rescue. It is mostly cats. When they get a dog though, they ususally bring it to her. We have a fenced yard, and it has been puppies recently. They are so fun. I have the ability to bring them to work with me, so that's what I do.

But yesterday, my husband (with his job) went to a car dealership and the salesman said that him and his wife had lost thier dog of 13 or 14 years recently. They were at the mall (new outside mall) eating outside and there was a dog running loose. He almost got hit by a car, the wife freeked out, the husband went out and got him. They called the local humane society and they said they have been getting reports of that happening alot lately. People love their dogs and drop them off where it is busy, knowing that some dog lover will pick them up.

But again, it would kill me to lose my animals. I don't know how people can do this.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wonderful story, thank you for rescuing Arty.
I know how you feel because my Li'l Girl, who's also a rescue, is also nearly the perfect dog. I often wonder how such a treasure ended up at a shelter.
Whatever the reason, it was someone else's loss, and a very big gain for me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lucky Arty and lucky you
My Daisy is a rescue. She is pretty far from perfect, but I am giving her a chance.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Arty is very lucky to have found you!! It sounds like you were pretty lucky to find Arty as well!! That's a story with a happy ending and thank you for taking the time to tell it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rescue dogs are great! Our boys Buster and Boomer are such sweet dogs, I can't imagine anyone giving them up but they both came to rescue from animal control. Buster was surrendered because he shed too much but if you read his paperwork he lived 95% of his life in the yard or garage. He is shy around strangers and loud noises but he is my shadow. Boomer, well I think he ran away one too many times and either got farther than his previous owner was willing to look or it was just the last straw. He is my snuggle bunny dog.

As to the previous owner wanting your dog back, I would think the only chance of that is if Arty had been stolen from them and it sure doesn't sound like that is the case.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I don't think the original owner can take him back. You probaby signed a legal adoption contract with the shelter or rescue and the shelter must have documentation that the owner refused to take him back. I would probably make that call or send in the information on getting the contact changed for the chip. That way there won't be anything to connect him with the previous owner. Can the rescue make the call or send in the information for you?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You and Arty were meant to be together!
I would second those who have advised you not to worry about the owner being able to get him back. He/she abandoned him and the shelter would stand behind you. Don't stress about it -- just continue to enjoy Arty!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone! I am so glad I can post random stories about how much I love arty and the proof of why he is so incredibly awesome without people rolling their eyes and thinking oh boy, ANOTHER dog story?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That is a great story. Arty is definitely a lucky dog to have found you (and you equally lucky to have him!). We'll never roll your eyes and thing Another dog story!. We love these kind of stories.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I just LOVE adoption stories!! I know every match isn't perfect, but it's so neat to hear of another successful happy ending.

My Cal is a mixed-breed rescue, and his middle name should be P-E-R-F-E-C-T!! My beagle Maggie is a rescue, but she was a puppy when I got her......so she didn't have the baggage that Calvin had.....but being a beagle, she's such a joy in my life!!

Thank you for sharing your story; I love to begin my day with warm and fuzzy feelings

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That is such a sweet story. Lucky Arty and lucky you! All the heartwarming adoption stories on this site are part of the reason why Dave and I decided to make our next dog a rescue.

We know we may or may not end up with a perfect dog, but since we aren't perfect humans, we're willing to deal with what we get.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's a really awesome story. Kudos to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts