Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 month old beagle screames when i get home from work:shocked:. You would think someone was abusing the dog and the more i greet her the more she screams why does she do this and will she ever grow out of it

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm guessing you mean the beagle howl? She is probably doing it because she is very excited that you are home!! The best way to stop this is to ignore her until she is completely calm. Once you arrive home, go about your business and only pet/greet her once she has stopped howling. She will learn that the only way to get your attention is when she is quiet. Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would think it is excitement. If you are showing excitement when you come it, it might be egging her on. I have heard it is best to just ignore them for the first few minutes when you come home. It is supposed to show them that coming home is nothing special. It also is good for seperation anxiety. However, It is dang hard to ignore them. You miss them.

We had a chiuahuah mix that would scream when we went to the dog park. She sounded like a monkey. She was just excited.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

I am very happy to see her when i get home so i guess i cause the problem its so hard to ignore her she does have seperation anxity someone is always home with her when i leave i tell her bye and she starts shaking so i worry bout her all day and im just as happy to see her as she is me

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I know exactly what you mean by screaming! Roscoe does this when he is overexcited about something. It is piercing to say the least.
You have already gotten the advice I was going to give, do not make your coming and going a big deal. I know it is hard but after you have entered and all is calm, then you can shower her with love :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My last beagle would do the same thing. If anybody heard it, they would think I was beating him! He was just so glad to see me come home, that he had to tell me about it, I think. As he got older, he started losing his hearing and I could sneak up on him sleeping in his house. Whe would wake up, he start screaming even before he had his eyes open!

·
Registered
220 Posts
E.B. was a screamer but as he matured his bark became more like a regular beagle bay, or howl, the piercing scream part mostly went away.

·
Registered
959 Posts
When we have been gone longer than 4 hours, we get told that we are late. If we are a bit late for dinner, Casie and Cobi both will let us know under no circumstances are we to be late for dinner again.

We solve it, by just walking around the house, picking up, letting them out, and allowing them to calm down a bit before we play with them. It seems to help....somedays, and somedays I take my barking and understand they missed me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts