Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Beaglers, I need help. I am so confused. My 1 year old Buddy Beagle has been eating Science Diet since he was 8 weeks old as directed by the vet. I have read many notes about SD and it's confusing how so many people can have such a poor opinion about this brand. There are so many choices out there for Dog Food that my head is spinning. Web sites that rate hundreds of different brands. Long story short, I just want the very best for my tricolored, howling, sneaky and hilarious third child. I went to Pet Smart today and picked up a bag of Nutro Ultra, a holistic natural food. The manager there said that is one of the best foods that they carry. I'm curious as to all of your thoughts on Science Diet and the switch to a brand like Nutro. As always thanks for your opinions ar advice...

Buddy thanks you as well...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Which Science Diet are you feeding him? I was actually really impressed with the ingredients in Nutro Ultra Holistic. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Here is a link to the dog food project about this food for the Nutro Ultra Adult Dry formula.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=14&cat=all

It's got great reviews and assuming it agrees with your pup, then I think it would be a great choice. On that site, you can also search for Science Diet formulas and see what they say about them. It's usually pretty accurate.

I think that if you find a food that works for your dog, than that's the food you should stick with. Every dog is different and even some high end super premium foods that have great stuff in them won't agree with some dogs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Dad:
Well, I can't say much about Science Diet, as we've never had our boys on it. We started Wyatt out on Iams, but once Amy saw the horrible things they've done, we switched. After much searching, we also settled on dry Nutro. Wyatt did have a little trouble at first with vomiting in the early morning, but our vet attributed it to being more digestible and leaving his stomach empty, creating more bile. It was fixed by offering Wyatt a small late night snack for a week or two. Once that settled, he's been fine and actually seems to eat less. We think it's because the Nutro has fewer fillers, but we're no experts.

There are those here who will tell you that Nutro is not a high enough quality food (at least they did when we asked), and that you should choose something else. Wyatt and Doc are happy and healthy on Nutro, and it fits into our budget. If it works for you, and agrees with Buddy, stick with it.

And by the way, keep in mind that most vets get kickbacks from food companies if they sell it in their clinic. That was enough for me to not buy the food they recommended to us (Royal Canine), even though we love our vet and trust her with our boys' lives.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rhett gets the Dry Nutro Ultra as well and loves it. He started off with the baby food then went to the adult food.

I remember when I was searching for the correct food for him I was so concerned about not getting anything with corn meal in it which this doesn't have.

As for the nutro ultra treats..... He sooooo hated those lol

·
Registered
439 Posts
i can go on and on about science diet, but i wont.
i feed bernie wellness dog food. i will until i find a better food out there. theres been several posts on dog foods over the last 3 months. do a quick search and do some catch-up reading.
lots of great info on foods and good opinions as well to read.
:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts