Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday Morning Niko and Yuki were wrestling like normal, when I noticed that they were pulling apart from each other. Then it sounded like they were really fighting. I tried to pull them apart and they were stuck together. Some background now, before we got them, they had oversized collars that had a big flap sticking out of them. They would try to bite each others collars. When we got them, we gave them proper sized collars that could be released easily. Glenda is really picky about the collars that go on our dogs. Even with these new collars, they still like to bite at each other on the collars. Well, Saturday morning Niko managed to get her jaw caught under Yuki's collar and she couldn't pull loose. As she pulled, it was choking Yuki. They were then pulling at each other and I was desperately trying to find the latch to Yuki's collar. Finally I found it and took the collar off. Yuki immediately threw up and had blood on her neck and paws. Yuki was also very unsteady on her feet for a while. Niko was also shaken up and it looked like her gums had been cut, though we never got a good look at them.
They are all fine now, but we are checking their collars to take out that slack so they can't get stuck again.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have had this happen before. My boxer lab likes to grab Cassidy's collar, and sometimes Nubi gets stuck in there, causing Cassidy to choke. Now, I don't have the easy release collars because my experience with those, I had one slip over the mouth before, and it cut the gums all up and didn't release, so I don't use them anymore. I have to take the collars off now when they play in the yard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This happens with Rory, Charlie our Mastiff likes to bite Rory's collar and actually pull him around in it. As Rory would whine I would punish Charlie but that never fixed the problem, now unless we are going somewhere Rory does not wear a collar, that was the best fix for us.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh wow, I'm glad to hear they are doing better, but how scary for all of you!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My goodness, that must've been scary for everyone! So glad they are doing ok now.

I have heard so many horror stories about dogs and collars. So much so that when we leave for any peirod of time, we take their collars off. Don't want to take any chances (and they are in a room where they can't get outside or anything, so they are safe).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am so glad tha your babies are ok!
We never put collars on our 7 month old beagle or 15 year old Shih-Tzu. They wear harness when they are walked or taken out of the yard. Other than that they roam free in the house with no collar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Willie wears his collar because that's where his tags are. He's microchipped, but I won't leave our house without him displaying his ID tag, rabies vaccination, and city tag. We walk him with a harness, because he pulls to the point of choking with a leash on his collar, but even when he's wearing his walking harness, he still has his collar on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My two beagles play fight too but from about five months ago I started to take their collars off when they are in the house, so I have never encountered the scary situation you did. So pleased to hear that they are both now fine. I had always left their collars on but my sister-in-law has never kept her labs coilar on in the house, and after visiting her one day, I just thought I'd follow suit (in my head thinking it would be more comfortable for them!!??)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.