Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone i'm back finally from my hiatus altho i was lurking. Been through a terrible ordeal with teddy and the neighbor.

See we have this neighbor, single older man, lives by himself, love the tedster always pets him when he happens to see us and even bought treats to give teddy. All sounds good right? I thought so too.

Well the other day it was around 6 am,and i rarely get up that early to take teddy out but i guess that morning he just had to go out early so I go out to close the gate, mind you i'm half asleep, kinda had one eye still closed, wearing pj's and a hoodie. As i'm attempting to close the gate in my frazzled half asleep manner, said neighbor (he's one of 3 that live next door) pops out of no where, which startled me but initially i thought nothing of it. Anyway he starts making conversation which i don't really mind so me being me i say g'morning and wat not, anyway at some point he goes and about how he'd like to come over and play with teddy........this is where my brain was like wait WHAT? so there was an awkward pause in which i only uttered an um, anyway he goes on and on about it and i politely declined. I go inside, totally creeped out, but hey sketchier things had happened to me so i'm like ok watever. I let teddy out so he can run around the yard and go about my day, go to class get back around noon and let teddy out again to run around and burn some energy. Now my brother who's in high school gets home at 2:30 ish he comes in and goes hey you want me to bring the tedster in? and seeing as its a nice warm day (we have had like 4 of those so far) i was like nah let him run around for a bit longer, if he wanted to come in he'd have come to the door and scratched Well He's out there for a good 2 1/2 more hours when my brother comes running downstairs saying his friend (who also lives next door) saw the guy upstairs from her open the gate and let teddy out, and she sat teddy running down the street.

Now at this point i couldn't be mad yet, i was legit SHAKING. So i call up all the peeps that live nearby and told them to poke a head out in case they see ted, as i'm searching for my sneakers again. By this time my brother was running down the street looking for teddy.
Took me a while longer because i was puking from the nerves before i managed to leave the house. So I'm running around looking for and thinking for where he might be extremely nervous Whistling, well i guess he heard me because all of a sudden in the distance i hear howling, by this time one of the parental units and a few strangers had been called upon to help the search.

Once we all heard the howling we all ran in that directly, sounded like he was at the cemetery were i take him for his walks. I keep whistling he keeps howling. well i asked a stranger to block the entrance to the cemetery (at this point i could care less who needs to get into the cemetery except for myself. I run in with my brother and finally find him way in the back playing with two labs. Thankfully he has good recall and he came right back to me and waited for me to clip on his leash, altho I probably didn't need to really call him, he came up running giving me this where were you look.

I was soo relieved!!!

I thanked all the strangers and hiked back home. Now half way into the walk back, relief turned to fury. To say I was upset is an understatement. I tried to press charges but unfortunately was told there really isn't much they could do. So now I'm paranoid about letting teddy out unsupervised and he's bee miserable for the last few days because i take him out on a leash in the yard and he wants to run around. Dont know what to do, I feel bad but I just can't bring myself to let him out by himself without having a mini panic attack.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I can only imagine how scary that was. I'm VERY happy to hear that everything worked out and Teddy was safe. I would let that neighbor know exactly how I felt about what he did.
I would also get a lock for the gate so that he won't be able to do it again.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Wow, your neighbour had a cheek. But maybe he really wants to spend time with Ted. Try an explain to him how worried you were and that he musnt open the gate anymore. Can you put a padlock on it?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks jen, we were thinking of a lock but it just wouldn't work, we're a big family, lots of people constantly coming and going, friends, family, i mean my friends just let themselves in (which was never a problem but now i guess its weird we keep the gate unlocked) and the biggest issue would be the parking since everytime someone came and went they'd have to open and close the gate as well as i'd have to hand out like 40 keys. Honestly i'm alittle afraid to approach that guy, i'm def. angry but i do not at all have the balls to just go up to him alone, he gives me the creeps now.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It's a shame we can't trust our neighbors. I'm assuming this was an adult based on the time of day that you were out. I always have panic attacks when one or all my dogs gets loose and unfortunately because I don't handle fear well it turns to anger. Don't come near me if my dogs are loose...you just never know what I might say or do! lol My fear isn't even so much a fear of them getting hurt...I am more afraid of someone catching them and keeping them as their own.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That's so scary!

We lock our gates here because one day I walked into the backyard and someone (don't know who) had opened one of our gates and just left it!!! Fortunately we'd been working with an electric fence and had strung it in front of the gate so the dogs didn't get out. I was so worried the next time we might not be so lucky so we locked the gates up. It's kind of a pain but well worth it to keep the pups in. We just use a combo lock so there aren't any keys involved. You could try that and just give the combo out to your friends.

And I can see why you'd be creeped out. Is the guy just a little loopy or are you concerned that he's using Teddy to get to you or someone else in your home? It may be that the man just wanted to see Teddy and forgot to close the gate... who knows!

I'm glad you got your pup back unharmed though.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont know if he's after me or not but its just kinda scary. I'm sure you've all gathered i'm just a college student so i'm pretty young and he's this old guy (well in his late forties i'd guess) idk i actually think he is alittle...not all there uknow? but it never bothered me because he was just friendly before. As of right now i do not want to be near him period. Your right beagle tails, it is a shame that we can't trust our neighbors. Luckily i only have one set as i live next to the river/woods on the other side so thats less of a headache. Good idea on the combo lock, I'll tell the parentals about it later to day see what they think, I'm more frazzled about it then they are but i'm home alot more and the creepy guy is just down yonder so i think i'm not being unreasonable by being alittle freaked.

·
Registered
889 Posts
There is a guy in our neighborhood that has creeped me out a few times. He's in his mid thirties and when I would walk the two beags he would always stop and ask me all these personal questions... like if I was in high school (I'm 26), where I lived, etc. At first I chalked it up to the fact that I think he lives at home with his parents and is just a little immature, but he continually asked questions and I finally got to the point where I changed my routine. Then one day I went walking with my husband and he saw us and never asked me those questions again.

I would just keep your eyes open, you never know (sadly) what people's motives are...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank goodness Teddy's okay!

Now, about the lock: will a digital lock work? you can give the code to the friends and family that are allowed to go in as pleased....

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Holy cow! I'm glad Teddy is ok. Maybe your parents could talk to the guy and let him know it it NOT OK to just let the dog out whenever he please. I would look into the combo lock too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gosh that is scary. I'm glad that Teddy is ok. I have a nice size yard so I have 2 gates. One in the front and one in the back and both have locks. Not key locks but combo ones. You just never know what some people will do.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am glad every thing is Ok. It might be a good idea to start keeping notes on dates, times, whatever he says to you. Then if he continues bothering you, you can make a case for harrassment.I think the digital lock is a good idea also.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wow I hope your nerves are calmed down. This guy sounds like someone to keep an eye on. There is something wrong with an adult male wanting to come over and play with your dog with your siblings and parents in the house. If he were your age an interested in you it would make sense that he would want to come over but sounds like he is using Teddy to get inside your home..totally not o.k.!! Absolutely look into a lock your friends and family might be a little inconvenienced but Teddy's safety and yours is worth it!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The whole thing was very strange, and caution is in order on your part. Situations like this are unfortunate but, sadly, a part of today's society.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Tell the troublesome neighbor (in front of witnesses) that he is not to enter your property for any reason and PUT A LOCK ON THE GATE!

Thankfully Teddy is OK.

·
Registered
504 Posts
How about a guard dog? lol, I guess where I live, no one would do that since everyone owns guns. Call me a red neck I suppose. People always ask me, what if Cassidy goes missing? I always tell them, she isn't missing, someone stole her, lol. I have already made it a point to all of my neighbors (since I went through so much to get her) how much she means to me and what I would do if someone came between my dog and I.
I am 22.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The heck with the saying Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. You haven't seen hell or fury if you mess or even think of messing with my dogs!!! Get locks. The peace of mind is priceless, as is your Teddy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.