Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,all! If you have any prayers left, please say a few for Maggie. I got home today to find two messages from her vet. She had lab tests yesterday, rechecking in particular her liver enzymes [we've been treating for 6 weeks with S-Adenosyl (SAM-e)/milk thistle/Vitamin E]. Not only have her liver enzymes not gotten better, they have gotten drastically worse. She has also lost another two pounds. I'll talk with the vet on Monday but present plan is to take blood on April 9th for an ACTH/adrenal panel that will be analyzed by an endocrinologist at Univ. Tenn.(same test that Lora's Tippi recently had). This is to determine if Maggie has atypical Cushings (even though weight loss is not reported in Cushings' dogs). If test comes back negative or ambivalent, I am not sure where we go from there. Liver biopsy in January didn't show any signs of liver cancer. We have to wait until the 9th because I am using a cortisone spray on Maggie's sores and we have to stop that for 10 days to make sure test results are not skewed from that. Guess I'll use lots of diaper rash cream until after the tests. I feel like finding that woman at PetSmart and waving Maggie's test results in her face! :grr:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the bad test results. I'll be sending lots of positve thoughts your, and Maggie's way. Hopefully the vets will be able to figure out what's going on, and get her back on track healthwise.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Oh Judy that must be scary! I'm so sorry to hear this. Can't wait to hear the results of the tests.

Give Maggie a big kiss and hugs from me and Daisy :thumbup:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
It always seems to happen on weekends, doesn't it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Of course we have prayers left. Maggie will be in our thoughts and so will you, Judy.

Please keep us posted and give some extra, extra love to sweet Maggie.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Judy! Sorry! Poor Maggie! I'll definitely keep you both in my prayers. I wish I could remember everything that went on when Amber was first diagnosed with Cushings. I remember a blood test that was sent to Univ. of Tennessee. I think that was our first step. He just took the sample and sent it out to get a definitive answer. I remember it all went quick. Give Miss Maggie some kisses from me and Jersey.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Judy, you know I am thinking of you and your maggie!
It is tough to wait the 10 days too since you have just been using the Cortisone spray! grr.. makes you feel bad!!

I will definitely be sending warm thoughts your way and hoping things come out well. Keep us updated!

Judi and the gang

·
Registered
270 Posts
I will keep Maggie in my prayers.
I lost my sweet Haily, my Doberman last July to Liver failure at only 7 years old. She had Chronic Active Hepatitis. My 5 year old Doberman, Harley was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago with CAH also.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sending you and Maggie our very best thoughts, and lots of tummy rubs. Hopefully they find out what is wrong and can treat it really soon - so she feels better and you don't need to worry...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Aw no, poor Maggie /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

She will be in our thoughts and I hope she comes out of this as healthy as possible.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Judy, I'm so sorry about Maggie. I've been out trying to get ready for my move, but I do want you to know my prayers and thoughts are with you and Maggie. Poor girl, she and you have really been through the mill. It breaks my heart to know both of you are suffering. Will keep up with you better, I promise. Beth, Bill, Thelma and Louise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many, many thanks to everyone for your kind words and prayers. I am still upset this morning but Maggie is oblivious although probably wondering what good things she did to deserve an extra biscuit this morning. Since she still likes to eat the Innova healthy bars, I can give her some nourishment with those. She's taking a good nap now. I am glad I had plans to spend today at home -- can give her extra hugs! (Bernie & Mof2: I hope Sadie & Bernie are doing well today -- lots of good thoughts headed your way.)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Judy, I feel a special affinity for you and Maggie since our babies share a name and you were one of the first to welcome us to this forum. If you need talk feel free to pm me. Although my Maggie is a baby and I haven't had many hard times with her yet, I have had many senior cats and I know the struggle of waiting and worrying and hoping. So if you just need to share your worry I am available. Wishing good things for you and Maggie.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Judy, I've just logged on and am so sorry to read about Maggie's discouraging test results. I was so hoping that the protocol of Sam-E, Milk thistle, and Vitamin E would help her as it did Traveler. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif You and she will be added to my list of prayers for our beagle friends.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sandy: Traveler's success made me very hopeful and I think, knowing how successful the regimen has been with other dogs, makes me even more disappointed. Maggie's alkaline phosphatase is up to 4,000 (from 2,000 in January -- normal range is 10-150), her Amylase has doubled and her ALT and GGT which have been high normal are now tripled what they were in January. Wonder if these results would be even higher if she hadn't been on the supplements. We are going to continue them as they can't hurt her. Also concerning are yellowish, watery stools the last few days. Thankfully, her kidneys continue to function well and she seems comfortable. We just went for a walk -- she walked pretty slowly but wanted to go a bit farther than she has been doing. Now another nap ...
Will check in with the vet tomorrow. Not sure if I should be trying to find some other foods that she'll eat -- she does get vitamins and is eating a little bit of dog food if I hand feed her plus she'll eat a couple of the Innova bars but her appetite is definitely suppressed.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Oh Judy,

Prayers and healing thoughts headed your way. I wish I could do more to help the worry.

I hope with all my heart that things improve soon. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts