Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure how to deal with this or why it's suddenly happening, but Daisy is becoming more and more afraid of things. Usually, it's stuff like bags or boxes. Today I took her with me to get her food and she just about slipped her collar trying to get away from a box that they had by the door to collect dog food donations for shelters. I'm not sure why this happens and I don't know how to treat it. Then, when we got home I put her bag of food down and she barked at it like it was going to come after her. If I even tried to move it, she would shake like the bag was going to smother her. Any ideas on how to work with her on this?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow, that's weird. Probably everybody knows this but I'm kinda new. How old is she? Have you had her since she was a pup? If she's older has her sight changed? If she's younger, has she ever seen those things before?

I bet others here will be able to give you actual answers instead of just questions - so I'll stop asking! LOL!

Good luck, I'm sure someone knows what's up.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's about 8.5 months now. We've had her since she was 10 weeks old. She hasn't ever shown this behavior up until about a month ago. Nothing has happened at our house, but she was boarded over the 4th. So, I'm wondering if something happened with boxes or bags there. I'm just completely stumped because you can tell it is absolute terror when she is confronted with a bag or box. This is where she is planted now (between my chair and the footstool), eyeing the bag of food. I've left it so I can see if she'll ever go near it. She's at least relaxed now instead of barking her head off at it

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She doesn't like the vacuum, and never really has but with it she'll just sit in a chair or on her bed until I'm done. She doesn't shake or act terrified of it.

Nothing else has changed which is why I'm so stumped.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow, unless where she was boarded they were unpacking supplies anhywhere near her and teased her with the bag or the box, other than an exagerated fear development phase I don't know what it could be. Maybe someone else will know more about Beags stages of development and if this is normal. Otherwise, I would call my trainer and ask them to observe. If she's shaking and that terrified it sounds like more than a stage of development but I would ask an expert - which will probably be someone one this forum, other than me! LOL Wish I could help..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hmmm......this does sound odd, Aliesha. I don't know what could be causing it, but maybe it is a developmental stage that she'll get over, at least I hope that's the case.

Any way you could put a treat or toy in a bag for her to get and maybe that will make her get more used to it? I have no ideas, but hope you can get her through this fear, poor baby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts