Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

It's that time of year, and we live right on Lake Superior so we get some really bad storms. Poor Oscar is terrified. Last night we had one that lasted from about midnight until 5am. Lots of thunder and lightening. Poor little guy was shaking very hard and buried his nose into the corner. When I would try and pet him to comfort him (I didn't move him as that is his safe place when he's scared) he would shake even more. I stayed up all night with him just talking to him but it didn't seem to help much. He even threw up at one point when the thunder was very long and right over us.

Is there anything else I can do? Has anyone heard of any medications that might help him? We're supposed to be getting heavy storms all week and I would hate for him to have to go through this every night.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know exactly what your going through. My beagles are ok, but there older brother **** is terrified of thunder and lightning, fireworks or anything that sounds like that...

I've never tried it, butI 've heard that D.A.P by Farnam works. It calm dogs with anxiety's?

Its worth a try?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have a friend who's dog feels the same way...she prefers to hide nder the bed. She got a "coat" that she puts on Kaydia before storms and it has worked very well for her. It apparently reduces the static electricity. I think the web site is "Storm Defenders". If not, I know she ordered it through Tuft's University.
I know that she has also used "Rescue Remedy", from the health food store.
I have read that it actually makes it worse to try to comfort the poor puppies during storms, it reinforces that behavior...I'm sure you will get more useful replies.
I'm lucky that Shelby does not care about storms. She was a littl nervous during the last huricane, but all she did was follow me around the house.
Goo luck.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by virginiapeg:
She was a littl nervous during the last huricane, but all she did was follow me around the house.
She was just "a little nervous" during the "last" hurricane?!?! I have to take it off to you (and your dogs) who live in hurricane/tornado zones - I just don't know how you (and your pets) stay even just "a little nervous"... I guess we have the risk of the big earthquake one day (and some imminent flooding right now) - but somehow it just doesn't quite seem as "real" as what you guys live with on a regular basis.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Awww, don't you hate that?! Our little Daisy ran and hid under our bed during our last thunderstorm. The metal loop on the top of her harness was tight against the metal frame of our bed and man was that ever a racket! The whole bed was shaking and rattling! My husband finally got her to come out from under the bed and she slept cuddled right between the two of us the rest of the night, shaking like a leaf. We got very little sleep that night.

I would try asking your vet if there was some type of anti-anxiety meds or something that you could give the poor pup when these bad storms come around.

Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ok I don't know if this works or not, I believe that someone in my beagle rescue has used it successfully here is a link to a "storm cape"

http://www.stormdefender.com/

Hope the little guy is feeling better today!

·
Registered
439 Posts
bernie use to be like that. i would just snatch him up and snuggle him. i love thunder storms.
bernie dont mind them so much anymore.
thunderstorms mean nap time in this house.
bernie loves nap time too.

·
Registered
702 Posts
First, I must say that so far Daisy sleeps right through any thunder storm. During the last one we had she slept right by the open front door!

Our little Lhasa Apso, Brandy, was terrified /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif so I used to get up, turn the TV on and sit on the loveseat with her right up against me until the worst of the storm passed.

I don't know that I'm very comfortable ignoring their fright. I just couldn't let her suffer it out alone! I'd doze petting her and put a small blanket over her, which seemed to help her feel more secure. We'd also leave the air conditioner on along with the TV if we had to leave her alone when we knew there was a possibility of a storm. It made a lot of noise and drowned out some of the noise of the thunder. It might help to have some noise going on during the storm.

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I just read an article in the last few days about using melatonin for dogs who are afraid of storms and loud noises. I was looking at some dog magazines at Barnes and Noble to see if I want to subscribe to one. I think I saw the melatonin article in Dog Fancy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Oscar's Mom:
Hi everyone!

When I would try and pet him to comfort him (I didn't move him as that is his safe place when he's scared) he would shake even more. I stayed up all night with him just talking to him but it didn't seem to help much. He even threw up at one point when the thunder was very long and right over us.

By petting him and giving him comfort during his shakes you are rewarding him for the behavior so he thinks it is the correct one. Next time you hear the thunder start (when it is far away and he is not shaking yet) give him a treat for not being scared. When he starts to get upset all you can do is ignore it and maybe even leave the room. Trust me I know how hard it is. Callie was so afraid of loud noises when she first came she would lose all control and I had to ignore her which ripped my heart out. Keep rewarding him for not reacting to the thunder and hopefully he will start to associate the thunder with treats and stop being afraid.
One time we took Callie to the fireworks. She started to freak out so I picked her up and she peed all over me. I have never seen such a quaking little body and I don't think there is anything I can do about fireworks, but she is so much better with thunder now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Lemon only reacts if its a very strong storm. But, Luna spent a good hour in the corner of the bedroom tonight (couldn't get under the bed because there was something in the way). I just let her be there till the storm passes and then a treat for both /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts