Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever find that your puppy was scared of other dogs? My neighbour tried to introduce Charlie to her dog, Mickey, a few weeks ago, Mickey stood completely still and didn't even move but Charlie was backing up and shaking the entire time. I thought maybe because he was a huge dog, it scared him (bernese mountain dog)

A few weeks later, my cousin tried to introduce her dog, Tom (a maltese) and again Charlie was horrified, although Tom kept barking, that could've been what scared him because he wasn't as calm?

And now even when we take Charlie outside to go pee and he hears my neighbours dogs bark he will run to the door as fast as he can. Is this normal? Any tips/advice on how to get him used to it? My sister has a german shepherd and I really want them to meet but I don't think Charlie will be able to handle it

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Sometimes if they are taken away from their mom too young and not socialized properly they can have issues with other dogs. My Molly still thinks all dogs out on walks are out to get her but she has calmed down a lot.

Introduce him slowly, reward him if he makes brave steps. A puppy training class might help with that issue and teach him to socialize.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Agree, I think it has a lot to do with socialization. Dont feed into the dogs fears go to an obedience class. My dog doesn't seem bothered by sizes of other dogs. Cassie goes periodically to doggie camp so she plays with all breeds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep letting Charlie interact with other dogs. I brought my first beagle home when she was 6 months old, and she had had PLENTY of beagle socialization (she lived with a large group of beagles with a breeder), but was terrified of big dogs at first (oddly, it was also with a Bernese Mountain Dog where we first noticed it! They are big!). She would shake and try to run away from them. She completely got over it after not too long though. I don't remember exactly how, but at some point we started going to a dog park (I think Charlie is too young for that though), and we definitely did obedience lessons.

So I guess I'd say his behavior is definitely normal, and he will get over it if you keep letting him interact with big dogs (definitely make sure they are friendly first though, you don't want him to have a bad experience).

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Rascal loves most dogs and all people :D
She will sit down around large dogs and won't let them sniff her though. She doesn't display any signs of fear though.
techie

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I always seem to be the one that goes against the crowd. Eeek! Not me! lol When I look back at it Autumn always seemed afraid and scared of some dogs. I really did my best to socialize here, I took her everywhere, except I never did take her to the dog park and maybe that is where they learn true socialization or at a doggie day care. If she seemed afraid of other dogs I would just bend down and hold her still while they sniffed each other, with some dogs I still have to do this. She really just seems afraid of some dogs, others she is fine, usually smaller dogs. As yours is young be there to calm his fears but don't ever keep him away from dogs because of his fears. Take him to some sort of puppy kindergarten class and keep up with it. Give him time to learn that he isn't going to be eaten alive by the other dog but respect his leeriness as well with calm gentle reassurance. Take him to pet stores, parks, walks all over just bring him everywhere and let him experience lots of different things as a puppy. Most people want to pet a puppy so you have cuteness on your side. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
my dog Google is 7yrs old now and he has been afraid of other dogs since the very beginning
my neighbors very recently bought a beagle puppy and google is even afraid of him
is there any way to help them socialize and become friends?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Dont know if a doggie daycare camp is available where you are but thats a good option. The dogs freely play together monitored by the facility staff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts