Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is really scared off her harness, to the point of hiding under the couch! We tried to coax her out with morsels of meat, but she was so scared, that meat could not tempt her out until she was sure we had put the harness away.

Next, we tried another harness, but again, same results. She loves going outside, but she just hates the harness! I've been using just a collar for this morning, and she was fine with that. However, I'm afraid of choking her so a harness would seem preferable.

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem with their puppy and the harness?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Why can't you walk her on a collar? If it is because she pulls on the leash, have you tried teaching her loose leash walking? It might be a bit easier on the both of you
I know that sounds like a bit of a cop out when it comes to a suggestion, but I spent a lot of time teaching Daisy not to pull and it's so lovely to be able to walk her without having my armed pulled out of it's socket! If she's a puppy now is the time to teach her not to pull because it will only get worse if you let the behaviour go unaddressed.

Alternatively, I wouldn't force the harness on her if she's uncomfortable. Take it slowly, leave it lying on the floor and let her sniff it, walk past it etc. Get her to sit when the harness is near her and give her a treat when she focuses on you and ignores the harness, teach her that being near the harness is a positive thing. Take it gradually, putting the harness in your hand and giving her a treat without trying to put the harness on her. Let her confidence build slowly before getting her to wear it. And when you do get her to wear it, get her to wear it around the house, get her to eat her meals in it, get her used to it slowly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't have a harness for Rocky, we are walking on loose leash. I have the retractible leash so he gets to stop and sniff and he's really doing well with come. My problem is he hangs back, but on the way home he tends to pull like mad. All I do to correct this is stop dead and call him back to me. When he's with me again, I praise, say let's go and if he pulls again I stop dead again. He really only had one really bad walk for pulling and the next walk I used this technique, he hasn't really pulled since! I don't know if we will ever need a harness now! Yay!

Good luck...and if you do really want to stick with the harness, I would let her get comfortable with it's presence, like the others said.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
If you dont want to do either of the above, i'd just suggest getting a soft collar, they do sell collars for dogs with delicate necks, such as grey hounds, etc.

Personally i've never used a harness for a dog, we might switch to one but for now i just stick with a collar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts