Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Beagle and a Basset Hound Terrier cross.
Now I am looking to adopt another Beagle, so I posted an ad saying that I was looking for an addition to my little family.

A lady got in contact with me saying that she has a Beagle that she needs to find a home.
When I asked if her dog was friendly with other dogs, she replied that she is scared of them and always tries to run away. She says that she is not aggressive at all, just really scared.

My question is, should I try to introduce this dog to mine, or would that kind of behaviour be better if the dog was the only one in the household.

My 2 boys are super friendly but I'm concerned that it would stress out the new Beagle too much.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You can always try to introduce them. Just be careful. A scared dog may try to defend itself when it does not need too.

You don't know the dogs history. It may have been attacked, or it just may have never have been socialized with other dogs. Even if the dog is timid with your dogs and you still do adopt it, in time she may come out of her shell (they usually do).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked the owner why she is so timed, her response was that she wasn't socialized enough as a pup. She was never attacked as this family has been her only owner.
Any suggestions on how to bring her around. I was thinking maybe have the pup come to my place for a week-end at a time and see how it works out. Maybe that way she won't get too overwhelmed, as I know that my boys are going to want to play with her non-stop.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Our third beagle is terrified of the world and everything in it -except other dogs. In fact, other dogs are about the only thing she is comfortable around... and therefore I think in her case having two self-confident dogs to hang out and play with is a good thing for her. It is probably hard to know if this dog you are considering is actually afraid of other dogs, or more the people that probably come along with those other dogs - so I think a test run for a weekend would be an excellent idea to see how she reacts to your boys (and vice versa). It sounds like your boys might be just what she needs to come out of her shell...

·
Registered
889 Posts
You might want to consider picking a neutral place to meet up, like maybe a park or something. It might not matter since your boys are very friendly, but the other dog may not be as comfortable in their territory. Just a thought!
Good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts