Our Beagle World Forums banner

Scairdy beagle

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BookerMoose 
#1 ·
First, a little background. Blaze, our oldest beagle (she's six) has always been a little on the timid side. The one thing that really seems to upset her are power outages. I don't know why they upset her so much, the only "reason" I can come up with is that we have a battery backup for the computer that beeps. But it doesn't bother the rest of the dogs, only Blaze. For about a week after we have a power outage, if we turn off the television or a light, she panics again. She trembles and looks for someplace to hide, ususally in the master bedroom.

Okay, now the new issue. On Tuesday, our next door neighbor had some work done in the yard that involved a jack hammer. Blaze now refuses to go outside. She has had a couple accidents in the house. I am having to pick her up and carry her out and shut the patio door behind me or she just runs right back in the house. Then she stays right by my side, on high alert the whole time we are in the yard. If the door is open and the boys run out barking (which happens several times a day) she makes no move to follow and she is ususally the second one out the door.

Any ideas on how to help her get over her fear?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I ended up taking Blaze to the emergency vet today because I was going anyway for our youngest beagle, Boomer, who has kennel cough. (Long story, somebody dumped a dog at the dog park, it was sick and our Lab BJ was the third dog to come down with kennel cough. Boomer was next and I have heard Buster cough this evening.... :angry: ) Anyway, I talked to the vet about Blaze's issues and the runny poop that she is experiencing (in the house) and it turns out she has colitis (an inflamed colon) and one of the causes is stress. Poor baby has stressed herself into tummy trouble. The vet said to reward the behavior that we want and ignore the "off" behaviors. So if she heads towards the door we make a big deal and if she runs back we ignore it. I am hoping she gets past this all soon (and doesn't get the kennel cough /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.