Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a little background. Blaze, our oldest beagle (she's six) has always been a little on the timid side. The one thing that really seems to upset her are power outages. I don't know why they upset her so much, the only "reason" I can come up with is that we have a battery backup for the computer that beeps. But it doesn't bother the rest of the dogs, only Blaze. For about a week after we have a power outage, if we turn off the television or a light, she panics again. She trembles and looks for someplace to hide, ususally in the master bedroom.

Okay, now the new issue. On Tuesday, our next door neighbor had some work done in the yard that involved a jack hammer. Blaze now refuses to go outside. She has had a couple accidents in the house. I am having to pick her up and carry her out and shut the patio door behind me or she just runs right back in the house. Then she stays right by my side, on high alert the whole time we are in the yard. If the door is open and the boys run out barking (which happens several times a day) she makes no move to follow and she is ususally the second one out the door.

Any ideas on how to help her get over her fear?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I know exactly what you are saying! The only thing I can figure out is some Beagle are more sensitive than others. And all dogs have sensitive hearing. Shasta's nemesis is the smoke alarm battery. When they get low they do a beep/shriek that turns her in to a bowl of jello. Then I find my 32 lb beagle stuffed behind the toilet or outside behind the bushes where she had dug a hole. Yesterday there was a water main break on the street and they had to jackhammer the street at first. The outside hidey hole was no good, so she buried herself in the farthest corner of the house. She shakes and is really afraid. Reassurance, treats, distractions all only have a minor affect. With Shasta's battery beeps and Austins thunder problems, I have often wished for doggie ear plugs or headsets. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good to know that Blaze is not alone.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Some times something will spook my Li'l Girl, and I'll never know what it was. When it happens, I have to accompany her outside for her night potty run, and reassure her as best I can. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Fortunately, it usually wears off in a day or two.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It sounds like Blaze and Shasta share Maggie's inability to handle high-pitched sounds. The squeal that my smoke alarm batteries, the alarm system power back-up and the telephone battery back-up emit send Maggie into a major anxiety attack. I have to get her out of the house immediately to avoid an escalation of the anxiety. I would think the jack hammer would have a different pitch but you never know. These are the only environmental triggers that I have been able to identify -- other triggers are all pain-related. I mentioned the reaction to high-pitched sounds to my vet and he was not surprised -- he has seen other dogs (and breeds) have similar reactions. Thanks so much for posting this topic -- it is always reassuring to know that one's beagle is not unique when it comes to weird behaviors!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sadie is two. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old. So she didn't come with an unknown past. (Unless things can happen that early in life that would affect their behavior later on?)
She hates boxes. When I get home, she is usually all over me, but if I walk in with any kind of box, her tail goes between her legs and she acts like, "Daddy, put that somewhere else so I can come see you!"
When she was little, she was experimenting with the idea of digging under the fence and in the gardens. We broke her of it by setting an empty 12-pack box where we saw dig marks. We didn't threaten her with it or anything. The fear was already there. We just set it out when she wasn‘t looking, and she stayed away. :grr:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up taking Blaze to the emergency vet today because I was going anyway for our youngest beagle, Boomer, who has kennel cough. (Long story, somebody dumped a dog at the dog park, it was sick and our Lab BJ was the third dog to come down with kennel cough. Boomer was next and I have heard Buster cough this evening.... :angry: ) Anyway, I talked to the vet about Blaze's issues and the runny poop that she is experiencing (in the house) and it turns out she has colitis (an inflamed colon) and one of the causes is stress. Poor baby has stressed herself into tummy trouble. The vet said to reward the behavior that we want and ignore the "off" behaviors. So if she heads towards the door we make a big deal and if she runs back we ignore it. I am hoping she gets past this all soon (and doesn't get the kennel cough /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My fearless beagle Bagel really didn't like it when the smoke alarm went off. They only cost a few dollars and a ball bat makes them shut up and the Bagel happy again. I'm sure the high pitched noise hurts their ears.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope Blaze is over her problems soon and doesnt get kennel-cough.
Our last beagle, Spotty, used to nearly have heart failure when fireworks went off or gun-shots. We tried everything around new years eve to avoid her hearing the blasted things but nothing helped. Sedatives made her sick. She would try to dig a hole in our lounge floor, pant heavilly and start to cry and scream. It took a few days after the last fireworks (there is always some idiot who will let fireworks off even after new Year is over) before she settled down again.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BoulderBeagles:
Shasta's nemesis is the smoke alarm battery. When they get low they do a beep/shriek that turns her in to a bowl of jello. Then I find my 32 lb beagle stuffed behind the toilet or outside behind the bushes where she had dug a hole.
I couldn't describe Moosie's reaction to the smoke alarm battery any better than the description of Shasta's reaction - last time it started beeping because it needed to be changed he ended up in the shower with Marc (with the water RUNNING) - time before that I found him in the back corner of my closet. And he doesn't calm down for hours/days afterwards - it is like he is terrified it is going to start beeping again at any moment. Poor guy - he isn't really scared of many things but this one totally sends him for a loop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts