Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sawing with her back teeth...?

Abby has just recently started destroying her plush toys. She finds a small piece (like an ear, for instance, on her loofah toy) and then puts it in the back of her mouth and proceeds to move her teeth back and forth like a saw. We have had to throw away several toys that she has had and LOVED for months b/c she not only chewed those little pieces off...in 2 cases, she ended up getting holes in them and got the squeakers out. :-( Needless to say, she doesn't get those toys when we aren't around.

Does anyone else's beagle do this?

And, do you have any toy recommendations for toys I can get that she will be less likely to destroy like this?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Re: Sawing with her back teeth...?

Rocky's mission in life with a new toy is to get the squeaker out. LOL He will run to his pillow and pounce on to it and then just squeak and squeak until he figures out exactly where the squeaker is. Then he'll just hone in on that spot on the toy and start picking at it until he gets it out. Then once he pulls on the stuffing out and the squeaker, he leaves the remnants of the toy behind. LOL

Daisy on the other hand will go 50/50. Half the time she'll do the saw tooth thing and shred her toys, and then the other half of the time she'll carry the toy around for months. She has one duck that she's had since we got her that for some reason she's never shredded. Most of her toys aren't so lucky. LOL We've yet to find something really other than that one duck (which Rocky never touches by the way) that neither will eventually shred. At least not a plush toy. And if it's not plush, they usually won't play with it.

Let me know if you find something! If not, my only recommendation is to buy the cheap plush toys so that when they shred it 30 seconds after you give it to them you don't feel so bad. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts

Maggie has always done this. I just buy inexpensive toys and let her have fun destroying them . She loves to get the squeaker which I then take away. Then she completely destuffs the toy, making a huge mess. She will often carry the empty shell around proudly for a day or two.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Corey does the same. Except with this one pig. It's U-shaped and all he's taken off of it is one ear and that was recently. It's the first toy he hasn't shredded for the squeaker. I always thought it was because of the shape/way it was made. Maybe he just likes his squeaky pig too much to destroy it. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

Oh we spent a small fortune on toys and have come to the conclusion that if they are not made of steel, we don't buy them!

But seriously, the only things that survive are Kongs (some of them), Nylabones, and one random rubber/nylabone type bone!

Plush toys don't even stand a chance in this house.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Originally Posted By: Abby 01/15/09
And, do you have any toy recommendations for toys I can get that she will be less likely to destroy like this?
The only toy that has held up for us has been a Kong Wubba. It's held up well after a couple months of Murphy ripping at it.

·
Registered
96 Posts

JW solid rubber balls have lasted for months upon months in our house. Corey squeaks them out before he destroys them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for all the replies! At least we know now that Abby is normal! :) Seriously, though, she tends to eat the pieces (like ears) that she 'saws' off the toys. We try out best to get them from her before she swallows but I know we haven't been able to every time. Do your dogs swallow the pieces, too? And, should I be worried about this?

(Although Abby tends to prefer plush toys, I'll definitely look into the Kong Wubba and JW balls - thanks!)

·
Registered
889 Posts

I know our two have swallowed some pieces before we could get them away. It's definitely not good for them. Large pieces could possibly cause blockages, however we haven't ever had a problem in the past.

I don't worry too much about tiny pieces, but I do try to take the squeakers away when they get them and I watch them carefully (if I can) when they are de-stuffing them.

·
Registered
504 Posts

Funny thing, just last night we spent $100 in toys at Petsmart because Cassidy and Nubi have discovered the art of tearing things apart and wripping out the squeeker. But we baught $100 worth of indistructable hard toys: kongs, hard balls with ropes, nylon bones, ect. Nothing that has a squeeker.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Milo doesn't grind with his molers, but he nibbles and tears with his front teeth and slowly rips his toys away little piece at a time, even uses this technique on his own bed (not to mention outside furniture). But i think this may have alot to do with him still being in his teething stage...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts