Our Beagle World Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Just be aware that beagles can dig. Sydney got out of our yard 3 times when she was a pup. Being so small, she really didn't have to dog a very big hole.

Oh, and I just wanted to say, those are some of the cutest pups that I have ever seen. I want them. Almost makes me tempted to get another puppy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lots of people have commented on beagles being escape artists so we've tried our hardest to fence off our yard so they can't escape. The footpath is lower than our yard, so there's kinda a retaining wall, so they'd have to dig down a fair way to get out.

I got a comment today from a work colleague that someone he knew had two beagles and they ran away together, never to be seen again! I don't like it when they tell me horror stories!

4 sleeps to go!

(... the finacee "Erin")

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Erin! Yes they have bonded well together as well as with us. I was nervous at first because everything I read said Don't get litter mates, because they won't bond to the human.
Well around 4 mnths old we put them in serperate crates and started taking them outside serperately. So I think that helped with them bonding to us. Maggie (our lemon) got demodectic mange, but Jasmine never got it. So with having them use to not being together all the time, it was easier when I had to bring Maggie for her dips. Jasmine didn't cry for her.

My family and I are also out of the house for long periods of time and they are fine. We have there crates right next to each other, plus our older dog goes and visits them.

My thought on having sisters, its like having twins. You want them to be together, but have their own personalities.

Enjoy them and take lots of pictures. Any questions just ask!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Guess what everyone!!!! It's puppy day!

Today is going to go soo slow.. Be sure that there will be photos here tomorrow /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh my god, they are sooo cute!

We went to aunty kylies (my sister) and showed off our new little girls. We were a bit worried about how they'd interact with my sisters staffordshire terriors. We left the bigger dogs outside while they got used to being on the floor. Then we let the pups in whilst being is the safe arms of daddy. Then before long, they were running around the house/yard with their cousins having a ball. We were all very suprised with how well they interacted with the bigger dogs. Obviously the staffies are a lot more robust than our poor widdle beagles, so things got a bit rough at times, but mummy and daddy kept a watchful eye on them.

Leia LOVES grass... my sisters was a little long in some parts and she'd just jump straight in and roll around and have fun with herself in the grass. Sally was asleep by now because she was all tuckered out.

We are now home and they've had their dinner, been outside for a play (in the grass) and a poo/wee (yes we remembered to praise them heaps and look like morons whooping at their pooping).

Now they are both all tuckered out on the lounge with mummy.

Their sister (Nelix the cat), isn't too sure, but I'm sure she'll stamp her dominence and let them know who's boss. Within no time, I bet you they will be lying on the same cushion together.

We are two very happy beagle parents right now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

(... Erin)

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
So glad you have your pups home. Here is wishing you everlasting joy and love from your beagle kids.

Do you know Tewantin?
Oh yes, you asked about rescues. Ours were rescued from research labs, thousands are now rescued in Germany, i.e. bought free. I am sure its the same in many countries. In our local animal home 9 beagles are awaiting adoption ranging between 2-10 years. Our two were 5 years old when we adopted them a year ago.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
They were very good last night, hardly whinged at all that we heard! I guess having the two together, they kept each other company.

Tewantin is in the sunshine coast hinterland which is about an hour's drive from us. We are about 8km's out of the brisbane city.

Australia doesn't seem to have any beagles in rescue shelters RSPCA (Royal Society of Provention of Cruelty to Animals). I looked because I'd rather save a life of a beagle from being put down, than buy a puppy. But my beagle fever had to be cured by something, and these two girls are absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Your girls brought tears to my eyes. They are adorable. I have 2 girls, littermates, we were bitten the same way. Went for one and came home with 2.(OF course, we had named them before we even saw them...go figure why we came home with both of them!! (Only survivors out of a litter of 5.) One of each type, as you describe. Good luck. Louise has an allergy & she tears some days more than others. Looking forward to the new days at home. Crate training will help you tremendously. They like crates, especially when started from puppyhoood. Beth, Bill, Thelma and Louise

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.