Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day from Australia,

My fiance and I have recently been adopted by two beagle pups, one named Sally and one named Leia - both girls.

We originally only wanted one, but after seeing those little puppy faces and how close the litter was we couldnt bear to split them up - so we bought a matching pair.

Theyre beagles, pure bred (mums an english beagle / narrow face, dads a yankee beagle / broad face) and we pick them up in 2 weeks... I cant wait, even though it means a whole lot of chewed remote controls, xbox controllers, shoes, the cat, anything else thats hanging <insert dog height here> or less off the ground.

So, so cute!

A few quick questions while I'm posting...

1. Their eyes seem to water a fair bit, all 7 of the puppies in the litter had moisture in the corner of the eyes. Is this normal for the breed / puppies in general?

2. Their right eye (on both dogs) seems to be a bit lazy at some times, but not another... Is this something to look out for?

Thanks, and hi again /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for everyone's kind words, the wait is killing us!! We don't even have them yet. Hopefully this time in 7 days we'll be on our way back with our new little babies. :woohoo:

We can't help ourselves! We are going to visit them again this weekend to have a little play. They'll be 7 weeks old on Monday and we've read up and been advised that they shouldn't be taken away from their mother/siblings until they are 8 weeks old.

Sally's name has been changed to Bagel as Andrew has wanted to call a beagle bagel. I'm not too fussed on this idea, guess he'll look like the idiot calling out to Bagel in public.

We are going shopping this weekend to grab all our puppy needs, any members got some good advice on the best toys to buy? From our experience last Sunday, we sure will be buying some toys that they can go nuts on chewing.

I'm sure we'll update you with more pics on Sunday night after we go have some play time with them.

(... the fiance "Erin")

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pfr, did you find that your two girls bonded very well seeming they were from the same litter?

Andrew and I are away 8 hours a day at work and we thought that by getting two, they will hopefully entertain each other through the day while we are out. We were also hoping that by getting two girls, they will create a great bond and be inseperable all their happy little lives.

We went out today and bought heaps of teething toys for them (hoping they will find these more enticing than the cords/clothes/shoes on the floor. We can hope!

We also got our yard "beagle" safe today, closing off a little paved and grassed area for them that they can't escape from.

The breeders aren't available this weekend for us to visit our girls, so we'll just have to wait until next Friday to see them. However, they did send us an update photo. I think it's a good thing we didn't go see them, we'd want to bring them home then and there!

Only 5 days to go now! I can't wait!! *screams like a kid in a candy store*

.... I won't be saying this next week will I? :S

(... the finacee "Erin")

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see a lot of reference to "rescue" dogs... A quick google showed they are strays/abandoned dogs that are...err...rescued /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Is that right? We looked long and hard to find any beagles, and no pet shelter anywhere in SE QLD ever had any. I take it there are a lot more beagles in the US / UK. The breeder had people from ~12 hours away coming to look...

Since I've got a week off, anyone know if its possible to train puppies to use a dog door, and do their business outside in the garden, and not dig up the lawn in 7 days? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lots of people have commented on beagles being escape artists so we've tried our hardest to fence off our yard so they can't escape. The footpath is lower than our yard, so there's kinda a retaining wall, so they'd have to dig down a fair way to get out.

I got a comment today from a work colleague that someone he knew had two beagles and they ran away together, never to be seen again! I don't like it when they tell me horror stories!

4 sleeps to go!

(... the finacee "Erin")

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Guess what everyone!!!! It's puppy day!

Today is going to go soo slow.. Be sure that there will be photos here tomorrow /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh my god, they are sooo cute!

We went to aunty kylies (my sister) and showed off our new little girls. We were a bit worried about how they'd interact with my sisters staffordshire terriors. We left the bigger dogs outside while they got used to being on the floor. Then we let the pups in whilst being is the safe arms of daddy. Then before long, they were running around the house/yard with their cousins having a ball. We were all very suprised with how well they interacted with the bigger dogs. Obviously the staffies are a lot more robust than our poor widdle beagles, so things got a bit rough at times, but mummy and daddy kept a watchful eye on them.

Leia LOVES grass... my sisters was a little long in some parts and she'd just jump straight in and roll around and have fun with herself in the grass. Sally was asleep by now because she was all tuckered out.

We are now home and they've had their dinner, been outside for a play (in the grass) and a poo/wee (yes we remembered to praise them heaps and look like morons whooping at their pooping).

Now they are both all tuckered out on the lounge with mummy.

Their sister (Nelix the cat), isn't too sure, but I'm sure she'll stamp her dominence and let them know who's boss. Within no time, I bet you they will be lying on the same cushion together.

We are two very happy beagle parents right now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

(... Erin)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
They were very good last night, hardly whinged at all that we heard! I guess having the two together, they kept each other company.

Tewantin is in the sunshine coast hinterland which is about an hour's drive from us. We are about 8km's out of the brisbane city.

Australia doesn't seem to have any beagles in rescue shelters RSPCA (Royal Society of Provention of Cruelty to Animals). I looked because I'd rather save a life of a beagle from being put down, than buy a puppy. But my beagle fever had to be cured by something, and these two girls are absolutely gorgeous!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.