Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that certain foods are toxic to dogs like:
chocolate, raisins, grapes and onions

Nikki goes crazy and runs to the kitchen to beg when I make salad.
She begs for all the fresh veggies. Even though she spits the celery
out, she still wants it. I know carrots are good for her and she loves
them. She also loves apples but I peel them and I don't let her have
the seeds or the core. Is there anything else I should watch out for?
She likes the tomatoes and cucumbers too! Is it ok to give them to her?

Is there a list online that I can refer to?

Thank you to everyone at Beagle World!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I noticed that the list said "raw eggs". Does this mean that hard boiled eggs are okay? Every time I make egg salad sandwiches Caesar goes nuts so I give him a little piece of the white as a treat.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I read something a while back about sugar substitutes being toxic for dogs -- can't recall whether it was Splenda or Equal. It might that this is a new item and the list from Dr. Foster & Smith is a bit older. Interesting that cat food is on the list -- I bet there are lots of dogs out there who steal from their cat housemates although I am sure beagles would never do such a thing. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
No Abby would NEVER eat cat food :rolleye11:
She loves cat food! She'll steal it anytime she has the chance...she's not nearly as picky with cat food as she is with her own dog food.

I asked her vet about it and she said stealing it occasionally won't hurt her but it shouldn't be the staple of her diet

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
....I read somewhere that tomatoes are to be avoided also....I wish I could tell you where I read it....you might research that to see if it's true. :freak:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar goes so crazy for cat food that it looks like we haven't fed him in a week! :ecstatic: We now keep Sox's food and water bowl behind a baby gate so my little "Hoover" can't get to it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have to keep cat food in a separate room behind a closed door. The cats "knock" on the door to get in and out. Maggie is so fast that sometimes she gets in and gobbles like I haven't feed her in a year. My dad keeps saying things about "poor dog, she always feels hungry" . She really does get fed twice a day and has a few veggie snacks in between.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel and I go by McDonalds 3 or 4 times a month. I like their Dollar Sausage McMuffin and Egg sandwich. I order two and remove the eggs from both which I give to the Bagel and eat the remaining Sausage McMuffin sans egg. I sure hope there isn't anything wrong with cooked eggs, the sausage is just too fatty for the Bagel and I don't like to give him breadstuffs so the eggs are the only breakfast food I'll give him. I will order him a $1.00 double cheeseburger hold the bun if we get there too late for breakfast.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Ok...I'm not an expert but from the research I've done tonight cooked eggs are alright for dogs and some vets recommend boiled eggs for pregnant dogs to help provide nutrients. Other dog owners give boiled eggs, shells and all to their dogs ebcause the shells have calcium.

Don't know how much of that is accurate but that's what the majority of the information I've found says. I think I'll ask our vet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you BeagleBabe! That's the site I needed.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

debannib - What I found out about the tomatoes is that they
should be avoided unless they are very ripe. So I guess
Nikki can live without them. Better safe than sorry, right?

Thank you everyone!! This forum is the best!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Spencer loves tomatoes, he loves Cucumbers, Lettuce, onions, cabbage, anything fresh from the garden. That Beagle can pick out the best ripe tomato in the garden and pick it. I thought they were color blind.... Not Spence. My dogs also love Potato Skins. When I peel my potatos for cooking I just peel them over my dogs and they jump up in the air to catch the skins. It is so cute.
They are all very very healthy with great coats. I attribute this to their diet. They loves fresh veggies... I will not stop feeding it to them either. I've done this for over 7 years now and so bad ill effects have come from it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, that's what Nikki does too. While I'm peeling and chopping she jumps
high in the air! She doesn't want me to forget that she's there.
:rolleyes:
I call it "pogo" and she jumps on command as well. She jumps about 4 feet
and she's only 13 inches high. It's very funny and amazing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I read that cooked green beans are good, too. Boeing eats a small chunk of steamed pumpkin, two slices of peeled and cored apple, and carrots everyday (baby carrots when available or big ones cut up into small sticks). Sometimes I give him a few steamed green beans. These are veggie snacks he gets apart from two small dog biscuits and a small piece of chicken jerky.

He also gets small pieces of boiled eggs occasionally. Once he stole a boiled egg from a tray on our dining table and ran to his hiding place to enjoy it shell and all :freak:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts