Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We use a baby safety gate to block off the kitchen so that Phoebe can stay in there without being crated. Ever since we have had her, if we leave the kitchen and she is alone, she will either mountain-climb her way over it or take a running start and push it over to come find us. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
If you can put the gate up higher that way she can't crawl under but it's just high enough that she won't be able to leap over it either.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We use the type of gate that is fixed properly to the walls and the gate opens once one lifts a catch. Ours cant jump over it or knock it down. We use this to stop them going upstairs during the day.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky used to jump the gate all the time. Then he learned to climb it because jumping would hurt him. He doesn't do it anymore. He has his own room. I close the door during the day and put the gate up at night (he is too busy sleeping to try to escape).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As a youngster, Murphy would climb the gate. As an older, wiser, heavier beagle, he now just knocks it down. We have given up on pressure gates.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We had one too. They didn't jump it, or knock it down: they chewed it to death :doh:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Harley is just reaching 6 months old and there is no way a baby gate can hold him back.

He can jump, knock, chew it down if he so desired.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will definitely have to try out a few to see if they contain her. We eventually will let her roam the house, but we are still unpacking in several rooms AND she is still a pup, so it will be awhile before we can let her venture around. The kitchen is completely Beagle-proof and rather large, so she has plenty of fun in there. Plus she always gets family time in the evenings when Nelson and I are vegging in front of the TV. I'm sure she is content in her life, but we feel badly about keeping her in one room all of the time. My biggest concern now is that she will teach Marty that it's ok to play with the boundaries that we set up. Although, he is about 2 years old and not nearly as bouncy as she is. :hyper: So only time will tell.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My parents have the baby gates for when we had our black lab to block off the dining and living rooms, they now use them for Fin's visits. The kinds they use just lean against the wall. During Fin's first day at their house, he figured out how to knock the gates down and enter the forbidden rooms. Although as I think about it now, it wasn't rocket science...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well I guess its only my two who are afraid of the gates. When we're home and need to get things done we gate them in our kitchen. These are the simple wooden baby gates. One is just leaning up against the wall and the other is in place, but I think its fallen so many times that it actually scared them. At one time they would always stand up at them, now they sit and cry, but won't touch them....
Also when you step over them the girls run to the opposite side of the kitchen... I guess one too many tripping over them. OOOOppps!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
pfr, Jersey is afraid of the baby gates too. She'll go up to them, but won't touch them. They fell a few times and made a loud crash. She stays clear of them now.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Nash Marbee:
... My biggest concern now is that she will teach Marty that it's ok to play with the boundaries that we set up....
Yep...what one doesn't think of, the other one does :hi: However, they will also keep each other company once they bond and it's heartwarming to watch!

Just a note of caution: I had only had my adult rescue three weeks, when puppy Maggie came to live here too....
My dad, who raised dogs for years, cautioned me to NOT leave them alone unsupervised until it was clear the adult male would not harm the pup. The fact they were opposite sexes was a good thing.....
Calvin proved to be a loving, paternal role model for Maggie (which just made me love him all the more), but not knowing his background, I had to be careful to watch them the first few weeks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A baby gate is just "woven air" for for Bama's bunny like leaping ability. The little guy just refuses to be restrained in any way.

I think the hardest I have ever laughed was the day we double baby gated young Bama. Thinking this would certainly keep him in the kitchen while we were gone. A few hours later we pull into the drive way, and who do you think was sitting on the back of the couch, looking out the window, wagging his tail. Yep, some how he got out. The gates were still in place though.

We laughed all the way in the house. From that moment on, we never wasted our time trying to keep him restrained.

Just the sight of him sitting on the couch still makes me chuckle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HAHA!

how cute! that happened to me yesterday! Nelson and I decided to double baby gate for the weekend to see how that worked before buying a different kind. I let Phoebe stay in there while Marty and I went down the hall to fold laundry (he was glued to me all weekend while I was cleaning house, such a good helper!). Phoebe, I guess, wanted to help too. After about 5 minutes of silence, I heard tap-tap-tap on our pergo hallway, and in bounces my little jack rabbit Phoebe, like, "I'm here to help you too, mommy!!!" I had to just sit on the floor and love my babies while i tried to stop laughing. :hysterical:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts