Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good snack for my 6 month old beagle that will last a long time? I have given her pig ear treats and she LOVES them, but after she began to choke on one and I had to pull it out of her throat, I will NEVER again give her one... it was one of the scariest things I have experienced. Are there any other yummy treats you know of that will last a long time that are completely safe? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky loves Dingo bones as well. They last him a few days as well. He is so happy when I give him any of the Dingo products!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've never tried dingo, but we have bought the shin bones that are filled with either cheese or peanut butter. These are great, because once they are empty we refill with peanut butter or they will just chew on them...

We also give them Flossies....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar loves Bully Sticks. I get them at Petsmart. They are a bit smelly but they last a long time and he's very happy to sit quietly and chew on it.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
A kong, stuff it with his favorite treats, peanut butter, freeze it for long lasting.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Maggie is a PIG in a beagle-body, and she can eat through ANY treat in minutes (even those advertised to last for days); needless to say, she ends up sick.

I stick with treat filled Kongs (also frozen) and treat filled femur bones for her.

Calvin has been diagnosed with several dead teeth, so the doctor says no more hard bones for him until those teeth are treated (dead teeth are brittle and will break easily). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Calvin's dentist-vet recently told me to stick with Kongs for Cal.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Marrow bones will keep them busy. I buy mine at the grocery store raw and bake them for 25-30 minutes depending on the size. I get some that are about 2 inches bone height and sometimes I go for the 4-5 inch bone. They are very good for their teeth and are healthy. We have some of the bones just hanging around all the time. They don't have any marrow or meat left, but Cecil and Brandy will pick one up and chew on it months after it was new. It's like a good chew toy. Also, the longer ones are great to fill with peanut butter. We always have them on stock in our house for rainy days. They are great treats and toys.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Well, when I went grocery shopping today I discovered that they carry the Dingo knotted bones, so I got Shiloh one. She was so excited when I told her I had something new for her, that her cyber beagle buddies enjoyed. But...nope, not Miss Picky Piggy. She grabbed it, took it to her chewey spot, but was back in a few second looking at me like, So, where's this great wonderful thing you got me? :eyes: <Sigh> Oh well. I also had to go to the pet food store, and there I found these new treats called Goodlife Recipe Wholesome Bones. They come two to a package, so I got a package of those. The package says 'long lasting'. Miss Shiloh had it polished off in about 5 minutes, it seemed!! But they were a tasty 5 minutes, I'm sure! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I give Jersey a pig ear, but not the regular small ones. These are much larger and are sold individually. They are called Miss Porky Chews. She can't bite big chunks off, only small pieces, maybe a little larger than a grain of rice. It keeps her busy for a while and they last for several days.

Here's a link to the company's website. They've got some really great products.

Merrick Pet Care

·
Registered
448 Posts
We love the Dingo brand here too at our house, but they dont last more than a day between 3 beagles! Of course, those "7 day" packs only last a few days anyhow-because even if one doesnt want to chew on it, they have to have it in their mouth for a minute if the other 2 got one !!

They just sit up and look at me like, OK where is mine. Then take it, walk over and set it down!! grr, LOL. later it tastes good though I know!
silly beagles--- why do I love them so much!
Judi and the gang

·
Registered
62 Posts
We usually give our dogs bully sticks (which are actually dried penises :pukey: ), dried skin from cow heads (no idea what that's called over there, here its called "rhinderkopfhaut"), or hooves. The hooves last the longest hands down, but they are also the smelliest. A hoof will last weeks at our house though.

You can also get marrow bones from the local butcher. They are very inexpensive and last a long time. I personally wouldn't cook them though, since that makes the bone brittle and prone to splitting. We give them raw as a special treat and our dogs love them.

I also really like these Booda bones, which you unfortunately can't find over here. They last quite a long time though and our first dog really liked them. They don't seem to be that popular though, so maybe there is a reason for that that I 'm not aware of.

During the summer time we also fill hooves or those rawhide shoes with plain low fat yoghurt and freeze them. Those are always very popular with our dogs.

However it's important to know that there really isn't an 100% safe chew treat. It's always possible that the dog tears off pieces that are too large or trys to swallow the thing whole. That's why it's important to always keep an eye on your dog when he's chewing something new, and to throw away the chew things when they get too small.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses, these are some great ideas! Marley will be excited to test some of them out! :rotatesmiley2:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Treats don't last long at our house either. We have a local butcher that we get bones from and the girls love those. I don't bake mine either.

The toy that the girls love the most is an old waterbottle with a treat (puppy biscuits from Petsmat)in it. They can actually get the top off (only while we watch them cause they could swallow the top) and get the treats out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.