Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, this is absolutely so substitute for veterinary care. That being said, As we all know, beags get into everything and here are some safe home remedies to try IF your beag is not running a fever and is eating.

If your dog has stopped eating for more than 24 hours OR if she is not drinking, it is time to see the vet. Bloody stools can be worms, or parvo if not Vxed.

Diarrhea- A spoonful of canned pumpkin in each meal until diarhhea has subsided. (not pie mix, straight pumpkin). Make sure you check stool for worms. If your dog catches things, mice rabbits, etc., I would treat for tapes. Diarhhea lasting more than 2-3 days means a trip to the vet.

Pain. A buffered baby aspirin once a day. DO NOT GIVE TYLENOL, IBUPROFEN OR ALEVE. EVER. It is toxic to the liver.

Itching. Childrens benadryl, dose by weight on box. Excessive itching in the ears indicates an infection and needs to be treated by a vet. Flea allergy is common, so keep flea preventative on your dog. Escessive scratching can lead to a 2nd infection which can be a real b*** to treat. Itching can also be caused by allergy, mange mites and overdry skin.

If they ate something they shouldn't and you need to make them vomit, give 40cc of hydrogen peroxide. Call the vet.

Minor cuts. use neosporin ointment. Won't hurt them if they lick it.

A dogs normal temp is about 102. Take it rectally. Use a lubricant with the thermometer.

If a skin irritation is hot, call the vet.

Will add more as I think of them!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Just wanted to add my two cents.

You may not always see the worms. We got Abby checked for worms because she was throwing up and had diarrhea, while the vet said she did not see any in her sample that didn't mean that she didn't have worms. She said they only expel at certain stages of the life cycle so they could be missed. We treated her for worms anyway and the problems went away.

Quote:Originally posted by Sadiemakes6:
[QB]
Make sure you check stool for worms. If your dog catches things, mice rabbits, etc., I would treat for tapes. Diarhhea lasting more than 2-3 days means a trip to the vet.
Hartz and a bunch of others companies, make aspirin for dogs.
Quote:
Pain. A buffered baby aspirin once a day. DO NOT GIVE TYLENOL, IBUPROFEN OR ALEVE. EVER. It is toxic to the liver.
Constant scratching (places like nose, ears, etc) and rubbing as well as excessive licking of private areas and paws can be a sign of a yeast infection and must be treated by a vet.

Smelly/stinky ears another sign of infection...make sure whenever your beag's ears get wet you dry them out well. Floppy, wet ears is a perfect environment for yeast to grow...and it's disgusting to have to smell :pukey:

Brown crap in the ears that keeps coming back after you clean them out can be a sign of ear mites and/or infection.

Quote:Itching. Childrens benadryl, dose by weight on box. Excessive itching in the ears indicates an infection and needs to be treated by a vet. Flea allergy is common, so keep flea preventative on your dog. Escessive scratching can lead to a 2nd infection which can be a real b*** to treat. Itching can also be caused by allergy, mange mites and overdry skin.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jamie. I should have been clearer in that usually the only worms you can see are tapes. Chloe had a BAD hookworm infestation, that gave her bloody diarrhea and you are correct, we never saw anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts