Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so happy that Bernie's Dad is doing updates for us to let us know how Bernie is doing.

So I thought you all might like to know how Sadie is doing. She has a herniated disk in her back. She has been an active, wild little 7 year old girl. I got the vet to tell me where it is, it is at L7, which I guess is Lumbar disk #7 in her back. She also saw a little arthritis in the area on the original x-ray. Our doctor has not mentioned surgery, just taking anti-inflammatory meds and rest.

Anyway, we are on week 3 of taking Prednisone. The first week she took 2 pills a day, then the next 7 days just 1 pill a day, then today we begin the last 7 days which will be a pill every other day. Today is no pill at all day. She is sometimes a bit stiff in the mornings. Overall she is feeling pretty good. She has been extremely difficult to keep quiet and sedate. But we have been strong and stuck to keeping her as quiet as possible. Our only problems have been when we let them go out to go pee in the mornings, if a cat of critter has been in the yard, they will start to run and bark on the scent trail. I have to catch her and get in back inside quick. She hates me for this. She wants to run and play so bad. And even if I catch her quick she is sometimes stiff and sore from the running around. I take her out on the leash a lot to avoid this, but sometimes I forget and just let them out to pee and sure enough that will be the morning that a darned cat as been in the yard.

Question: Once we are done with the Prednisone, do you think we should start back on the Rimydly if she still needs it? I am thinking she will still need to take something. Of course I'll ask the vet, but thought I would ask here too.

thanks all!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know this is in a different animal, but my cat was run over in our driveway by my mum (accidentally of course) when she was 6 months old. We had to keep her still for 6 weeks in a box to limit her movement and help the bones heal. She was on a lot of pain killers then as well.

Now its quite a few years later and she can sometimes be stiff and I can see the pain. When i can see she's in pain, I put some of the pain killers in her meal for two meals staight (morning/night), then I skip a meal and put it in her dinner, then skip 2 meals and so on.. Till I think she's okay. Then rinse and repeat.

I'm sure you know your dog well enough to know when she's in pain or needs that extra help. I believe in helping them be as comfortable as we can make them. If that was me and I was in pain, I'd want the pain killers /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

(... Erin)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Its good to hear that Sadie is trying to be her old self. Do keep her under wraps for as long as your vet stated. If you have to take her out on a leash, do so. Bernie's situation and yours are similar, both of you have been going through standard treatment for herniated disks. Bernie's vet thought it was serious enough for surgery. Yours thought otherwise. Keep in mind, reinjury could lead to surgery. So please keep her quiet for the prescribed time.

Only give her the meds the vet says to give her. Ask about the "what ifs". If the vet prescribes some meds to be used "As needed" then do so. If not, then don't

·
Registered
540 Posts
Glad to hear Sadie is doing well also. All this injury stuff from active beagles really makes me think. I don't worry so about Brandy as she only runs and doesn't jump a lot, but Cecil is another matter. Cecil is like a deer or even a cat. She jumps on and off sofas easily. Today she scared me to death. They were doing morning zoomies around the sofa and Cecil got a wild hair to try to jump onto Brandy who was on the sofa. Big thing though, she tried to jump over the coffee table to get onto the sofa...never did this before. She landed in the middle of the coffee table, broke a decorative bowl and knocked about everything else on the coffee table off. She knew she was in trouble and did a "bad girl" thing. I know she won't do this again, but what's next? Cecil is often just full speed ahead. I only pray that the Lord looks out for her and keeps those joints and hips healthy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad Sadie's progressing well and know that it's difficult to curtail her activity. All she knows is that she's feeling better, not that running could hurt her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif My only suggestion about future medication would be to seek your vet's guidance.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darn, I know better than to say someone is better out loud. Today was the first day of the "taking the Prednisone every other day". So today was the skip day, where we didn't give her the pill this morning. She seemed fine this morning, but by late afternoon when Hubbie came home she is not fine. She did not want to get up when hubbie came home. He got a piece of cheese to see if she could get up. She did get up, but very slowly and very stiff. Darn!! I called the vet and explained what is going on. They said to give her the Prednisone today and 5 more days straight without skipping. Hubbie gave her one right away. I come home from work 2 hours later and she is very, very stiff. She is having trouble getting down the one little step to go outside. She does go out and slowly goes pee and poo fine. Comes back in. I call the vet again and they say I can give her one of her pain pills. We haven't had to use those since the one day that they gave them to us. They said if no improvement we could go to emergency vet tonight or come in tomorrow for a re-check appointment. She is sleeping now. We will see how she feels when she get up in a while. Pooh Bear is sleeping with her on the floor trying to be helpful.Sadie is in front, Pooh in back.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Ms. Sadie! I am glad Pooh is being a good brother and staying close to her. Keep us updated -- Maggie & I send gentle hugs your way.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2 hours later into the evening. Sadie had a good nap. She got up much less stiff. Eyes bright and tail wagging. Walking around real good again. I guess the Prednisone kicked in. When I was talking to the vet earlier and she said that different animals repond differently to the medication. And apparently she had not been on it quite long enough. Anyway, she appears ok now. We will watch her and continue to curtail her activity.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It sure is a roller coaster - but glad to hear that the medication seems to have now kicked in. Hopefully upping the medication for a bit will but her back on the track to healing up.

I love the picture with Pooh Bear lying with Sadie - too cute!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
MO2B,

Thank you for the update on Sadie. It's important to keep your adopted-family-on-the-board up to date! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

After all the work and worry these past weeks, I was hoping for a complete recovery, but it sounds like another coupla' weeks until you know for sure, so I'm sending heartfelt hugs to you and Sadie.

Hang in there mom......keepin' the prayers a-comin' your way :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadie is doing well back on the Prednisone. It is amazing what that medication can do. She went from barely being able to get up and walk around stiffly to normal walking be the next day. I will be afraid to stop the Prednisone again. But we are to give it to her for just 5 more days and then try to drop down to every other day again.

One funny thing in all this. This happened on Wednesday, the day that we didn't give her a prednisone as it was the first day of seven days where we were to give a pill every other day. That is the day that hubbie came home in the afternoon to find Sadie not wanting to get up and very very stiff and painful. He found their food bag in the kitchen all tore up. They had somehow got into the pantry and tore into their food bag and ate quite a bit of food. It wasn't a full bag luckily, it was maybe a fourth left in there. They didn't eat it all, wasn't that nice of them? But they ate enough for their sides to be filled out and we could tell they were quite full.

I expressed my worry to the vet about her excessive water drinking and peeing. The vet assured me that this is a normal side affect of Prednisone and for me not to worry about that. Just to let her have plenty of water.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Soooooooo glad Sadie is feeling better today.....sure makes one's heart melt when the tail is a-waggin', doesn't it????? :heart:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
That Prednisone is good stuff.

But you hate to have to use it long-term because it has it's own set of side effects.

Thanks for keeping us updated on Miss Sadie...please give her an extra belly-rub from Henry and I. (better give one to Pooh Bear too, don't want to leave anybody out).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Aww poor Miss Sadie. I'm glad she got better after you gave her meds. Give her love from us and to Pooh Bear as well...love their picture together!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts