Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie threw up her Breakfast and supper yesterday. And threw up her breakfast again this morning. She throws this up about 30 - 45 min. after eating it. She also has a runny yucky poo. (sorry) Of course this is a weekend and I am leaving town tomorrow for a week work trip. They will have their Daddy, but I hate to leave them not 100%.

I just called Emergency vet just to get advice. They say they don't think her medications would be causing this. More than likely it is Garbage Pail Itis. You know where she has eaten something she should not have. They recommend giving nothing to eat for 24 hours and then try to re-introduce food.

Our own vet usually says to feed them plain rice.

She is acting fine. She is running around the back yard now on a scent trail. Still limping, but not too bad.

I am wondering if I should take her on in to emergencey vet or give it more time and if she is still sick hubbie would have to deal with her tomorrow.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Sadie is not feeling well -- I would agree with both the emergency vet and your vet. Routine I use is 24 hours with no food (absolutely nothing -- this is tough, I know ...), just water. Then followed by plain white rice for two or three small meals the next day. If rice is kept down, then add plain, poached chicken and a little bit of chicken broth to rice for a couple of days. Then, again, if kept down, back to regular food. If Sadie is unable to keep rice down, then a trip to the vet is in order. If vomiting gets worse and Sadie can't even keep water down, then emergency vet is in order. I know it will be hard to leave Sadie in her Daddy's care when she is not up to par but am sure he wants her to feel better just like you do. You might write out specific directions if he is like (some) other Daddies ... :rolleyes: (Don't get offended, BW Daddies -- you are definitely excluded from the "some".)

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Beagle Daddies are great. In my particular household I am the caretaker of the doggies. I feed and give meds and take to the vet and love them. Hubbie plays and cuddles and loves them.

I am just more familiar with their feeding routine and meds, etc. My hubbie does just fine with the doggies while I am gone, I just hate to leave any of them. And yes I write out instructions for hubbie on how to care for them while I'm gone. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope that Sadie's feeling better soon. Poor girl has had a rough time lately.

When I leave home for a few days, I write out feeding instructions, etc., for the dogs'daddy. I even carry it a step further and put the meds in paper cups with the times when they're to be given. With 4, it can be hard to keep straight if one's not used to the routine. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I gave her a half cup of cooked rice mid morning and another half cup in the afternoon. She is keeping it down.

She wants to eat. She has an appetite. If I put a bowl of her food down she would gobble it up. So she definitely wants to eat. But something is upset inside her. She has energy and is drinking water. So we are having a rice day. Maybe some cooked chicken with the rice later. We'll see. Also I gave her a Pepto Bismal tablet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Sadie! She's had a streak of bad luck lately, hasn't she? I hope she's feeling better soon and that you can enjoy your trip without having to worry too much about your baby girl!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope Sadie is better again soon. Must be hard for you having to leave her, but she is with her daddy. Hope when you return you'll find her top fit again.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Mom of 2 Beagles:
Well, I gave her a half cup of cooked rice mid morning and another half cup in the afternoon. She is keeping it down.
Great update! If you can, resist the chicken until tomorrow. I know it's hard -- you feel like you are starving your baby but it is really in her best interest. So glad she is peppy -- that is a good sign.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks Judy. I only put a tiny amount of chicken with the rice. I'll give just rice for supper.

Poor Pooh Bear is having rice with chicken too. He isn't sick, but they eat together, always have. She would just eat her rice and then eat his food. I'll try to sneak him something later when she isn't around.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, one more post before I leave for out of town tomorrow.

I know I am a neurotic Beagle Mom. Sadie just had a nice poop. (sorry) But I'm glad she did have a good poop. (no yucky or diarrea) No throwing up this evening. So hopefully we will go through the night without any throwing up also.

I leave in the morning for Orlando. I have to be there for a week for some work training. I'm staying at the Sheraton on Ivanhoe.

thanks and talk to you all later,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts